FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys getting for economy? I am at sea level with high head humidity. Ny car is in good shape for 142k miles, just did a complete tune-up but it needs tires and alignment and it's hurting the mileage. I am getting 26-28 mpg mixed (city / highway) with the a/c on and driver window down. My car is a '98 sport manual, stock except a drop in K&N. For some reason I think I should be getting slightly better mileage. What are you guys getting and what do you think.

Also, why are all the insurance companies saying that my car is really UNSAFE??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah for some reason I don't feel "that" unsafe in a '98 Ford economy car with dual airbags although it is a small, inexpensive car and I could see how one could get very hurt in a abg collision. Thanks. I love my car, I was hoping there isn't a major defect that would injure me unnecessarily.

However, my premium skyrocketed after swiching from my 1988 Rx-7 sportscar WITHOUT airbags!!!

???

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
You should be getting better mileage. I have a '97 wagon (5 speed) and it gets about 32-35 MPG locally and 40-49 MPG highwy depending on whether I'm using the A/C and what speed I'm driving. I also have an '02 SE (automatic) that get about 31-33 MPG locally and about 40 MPG highway at 55-65 MPH. Do you have a check engine light? If you do get the codes checked, it will probably lead you to your problem. If it's pretty far out of line that will cut mileage by several MPG too. Also check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense on the insurance although both blue book values are the same (!?)

And I am pretty concerned about the mileage because I expect above 30 in the city with this configuartion and condition. I drive easy. However I realize that the tires / alignment / emissions code are severely affecting it. Getting 26-27 mpg now as I was saying and the car has a brand new O2 sensor and complete tune-up.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
9,975 Posts
FordMan, you car must either be a fluke or you hypermile it. I haven't been able to break 40 with my 5 speed wagon. Its aligned properly, has no vacuum leaks, newer O2 sensor, recent Autolite Double platinum plugs all gaped correctly, tires inflated correctly, 25% UDP, and an air intake.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
FordMan, you car must either be a fluke or you hypermile it. I haven't been able to break 40 with my 5 speed wagon. Its aligned properly, has no vacuum leaks, newer O2 sensor, recent Autolite Double platinum plugs all gaped correctly, tires inflated correctly, 25% UDP, and an air intake.
Last summer on a highway trip with the cruise set at 55 MPH and no A/C, since it was cool outside that day I got over 48 MPG. I've never had any problem getting 40 MPG on the highway even when driving 70-80 MPH with the A/C.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My auto trans sedan gets 31 mpg on average. That's with combined city with a little sitting in traffic, and some cruising at steady 45-60 mph. I also just let the torque pull me along, I don't rev it any higher than 3.5k most of the time. (I have the Mustang for going fast) My trans shifts well (was flushed before winter, that helped a lot), just tuned it up not long ago as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well for the last several tankfuls I've been putting about 9 gallons in and getting about 250 miles out of it. That is only 27 mpg. Not bad but I can't seem to do any better no matter what. Our tanks our 12.67 gallons, but the light comes on when there is still about 3 gallons.

UPDATE: I corrected the front toe, so I am sure that will help the mileage a little since it doesn't have to fight against sideways tires. I also filled up in the morning instead of midday so the fuel should be denser and have more energy content. I got only 26 mpg mixed driving with the a/c on out of the last blazing hot midday fillup :(, that is pretty crappy compared to what the rest of you guys are reporting.

I also have codes p0135 heated oxygen sensor circuit and p1451 auxillary emission control something, so I may be in closed loop longer than necessary and possibly evaporating some fuel? This is my theory as to why I cannot get even close to 30+ mpg at the moment, but the car is running excellent!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

It was just a fuse that was causing both of those codes. I replaced it and the check engine light no longer comes on. But mileage has not improved yet :( So I decided to put some time and effort into doing the alignment myself and it came out perrrrrfect. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just need tires. I am hoping that I can now break into the 30s (mpg) with the alignment angles perfect and the oxygen sensor working good. Car runs GREAT but I want more economy. I have been stuck in the mid 20s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts