FEOA Forums banner

Should I change this to the MICROSOFT SUCKS, Blow off Steam Thread??

• Yes Microsoft sucks and I hate them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes Microsoft sucks, hate is a strong word.

• Don't matter to me I have a Mac

• Don't matter to me even though I am a PC

• I am Justin Long

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you work for Microsoft, I would like to appologize now, I really let one of your Tech Support Managers have it a little bit ago. They can't fix my problem for less than $60 8O . I "upgraded" to WMP 11 from WMP 8 or 9 or whatever came loaded on my desktop in 02, and now it will not play DVD's without me paying $14.99 for a DVD decoder plug-in. Seems more like a Downgrade to me. How can a multi billion dollar company be so incompetent??

I guess I really could change this thread to the MICROSOFT SUCKS, blow off steam thread :D

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,867 Posts
I thought wmp always did that. You need the decoder. You can buy one on the internet or get a free trial one one on the internet. I think though that if you buy a dvd rom or dvd writer, it comes with the codec needed for that.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, my DVD Burner is brand new. That's when I discovered this. My other one was crapped out.

I could pay $14.99 for a plug-in, but it's the principle involved. It worked fine for Free and now it needs a $14.99 decoder to play DVD's. F'n Microsoft. I actually told the guy I wanted to talk to Bill Gates :D He didn't know what to say to that :lol:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Download a program called "Media Player Classic" Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I can play DVD's just fine with MP 11, never payed for no damn plug-in's ever. Go download CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack. That's all I've got added in, plays anything. Either that or search the net, there's got to be some crack out there for it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
microsoft sucks and i hate them!!

i've used media player classic and never had any problems with it. you could also try uninstalling WMP11 and using WMP 9 or 10 to see if that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
granted im not a computer genuis but shouldnt you be able to just download some codecs? I had the same problem as you did when i downloaded the new WMP and im pretty sure these are what fixed it http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/download.php
Im not 100% sure that is what will solve your problem but i have that installed on my computer.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try that codec site. I know my Laptop, which is Vista and came loaded with WMP 11, plays them just fine on WMP and WMC. But my Desktop has a bigger screen and a pretty good speaker system. It was pretty aggravating though the amount of BS I had to deal with with having MS and Dell on the phone for 45 minutes. Then not long after that MS gaurd or whatever showed up saying this was a malicious website, I attested that it was not.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
You can uninstall WMP 11 and revert to what ever you had before. Go into Add/Remove programs and remove it, it will revert back to whatever your system came with. I hated 11 and went back to 10. You can download any version here. http://www.oldversion.com/Windows-Media-Player.html

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I think Vista requires WMP11? Not 100% on that, I've been windows free for almost two years, haha.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
silverton said:
I think Vista requires WMP11? Not 100% on that, I've been windows free for almost two years, haha.
I think the computer he is talking about has windows XP because he said it originally had WMP 8 or 9 to start with. WMP 11 probably works fine on Vista because that is what it ships with.

·
My old archenemy, RAKES!
6,144 Posts
I just use WinDVD or whatever crappy program came with my DVD burner. Actually, I rarely watch DVDs on my computer anymore. Used to do it much more while in college.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
They can't fix my problem for less than $60 . I "upgraded" to WMP 11 from WMP 8 or 9 or whatever came loaded on my desktop in 02, and now it will not play DVD's without me paying $14.99 for a DVD decoder plug-in. Seems more like a Downgrade to me. How can a multi billion dollar company be so incompetent??
How do you think they became a multi-billion-dollar company? ;)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
VLC will play anything.

FWIW I'm running XP w/MP11 on one machine. The CCCP contains ffdshow, among many other codecs that come in handy.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nihil said:
They can't fix my problem for less than $60 . I "upgraded" to WMP 11 from WMP 8 or 9 or whatever came loaded on my desktop in 02, and now it will not play DVD's without me paying $14.99 for a DVD decoder plug-in. Seems more like a Downgrade to me. How can a multi billion dollar company be so incompetent??
How do you think they became a multi-billion-dollar company? ;)
exactly, because they market a ****ty product :)

after all the codec downloading I think now I can play any video known to mankind. I did the CCCP and it works perfectly now. Thanks guys. Microsoft still sucks though :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts