FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this summer my engine is going to have to go under some major development. It is satrting to blow oil quite a bit, mostly during downshifts. So while the head is apart I was thinking of swapping in all the late model Miata Valvetrain(Cams, solid lifters, springs etc). Now if the smoking is not comng from valve seals, then it looks like I have to take the head off to chang the piston rings. I just replaced the head gasket last summer, Can I reuse this gasket, or am I going to have to get a new one? What is needed to swap in the Higher compression Miata pistons, since there is different amount of wear on my engine, and the newer pistons?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I wouldn't swap any thing from the miata head. the newest miatas finally have some of the goodies that the EGT has had for years. I'm not sure on the pistons though. I'd get a new gasket if you are going to take it apart. no point in doing it twice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the 2001 Miata's have 10:1 Pistons, solid lifters, a more agrresive cams, and the valve springs are stronger. Lifters, cams and pistons should put up some better numbers then stock, thats for sure. I was reading up on it on the Protege Board.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
HuD_91gt said:
Now if the smoking is not comng from valve seals, then it looks like I have to take the head off to chang the piston rings.
:) I don't know what kind of crazy setup you have in your engine, but if you can change your piston rings without rippin' your whole bottom end apart, please fill me in. That'd be a HUGE time saver :p

And yes, buy a new head gasket. If you take shortcuts when it comes to gaskets, you'll end up spending your saved money on bus fare. :wink:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
HuD_91gt said:
Well the 2001 Miata's have 10:1 Pistons, solid lifters, a more agrresive cams, and the valve springs are stronger. Lifters, cams and pistons should put up some better numbers then stock, thats for sure. I was reading up on it on the Protege Board.
If you're willing to pay top dollar for Miata stuff, you could buy a 1.8 crate Miata engine and throw it in your EGT. The only problems I can think of are that the Miata engine is built for RWD, so I'm not sure if the engine mounts would line up. The other problem is the Miata's intake faces exactly opposite of the one in the EGT.

It'd prolly just be cheaper and funner to buy a Miata. (RWD burnouts and powerslides....*drool*)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.