FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they have alot of these on ebay, pardon me if someone posted this already but i did search and seemed to find everything but a thread about these springs.
does anyone have these? and are they good springs? im gonna get some Zx2 SR struts soon, and i would like springs too haha because ya know, i dont wanna half ass it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,787 Posts
I know 2 people that have them and seem to like them. I really don't know anything beyond that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
yeah, dudem these springs are super cheap but thay rock so far. i've had them on for a little over a year and they're ugly (the orange coating flakes off really fast) but they're still stiff as hell, without being brutally so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
if i am one of the 2 dave is talking about about cause he has my 3rd gen lol but i have hade megan racing springs they are the greatest i love the drop they give u the ride quality and just everything
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,787 Posts
ah, I didn't even think about that. Your old car had Megan springs as well. Charles sold them to someone on the board here. Not sure if they installed them yet or not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,051 Posts
I never heard back from the dude, so I don't know either.

I have sprint springs on my car, same as Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
More than anything, I like the idea of using them because they actually disclose their spring rates. I have a feeling the S/R's are going to be under-damped for them though. From what I gather, the S/R's are valved for the Eibach's, which are rather soft, especially compared to the Megan Racing's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
kendogg said:
More than anything, I like the idea of using them because they actually disclose their spring rates. I have a feeling the S/R's are going to be under-damped for them though. From what I gather, the S/R's are valved for the Eibach's, which are rather soft, especially compared to the Megan Racing's.
Sort of. The Eibachs are a progressive rate. The first inch of compression is nearly as soft as stock, after that the rate increases dramitically. The S/Rs are valved for the stiffer rate. This causes the car to seem very "tight" in it's response at moderate speeds to a casual driver. The S/Rs are actually the best possible off-the-shelf strut for the Megan springs. They are very slighty on the loose side of "ideal" damping rates for the Megans, but that is far better in terms of sutained turn performance than too tight would be. In fact, some very experienced road racers prefer a slightly under damped set-up, depending on the track they are at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
F-16Wrench said:
kendogg said:
More than anything, I like the idea of using them because they actually disclose their spring rates. I have a feeling the S/R's are going to be under-damped for them though. From what I gather, the S/R's are valved for the Eibach's, which are rather soft, especially compared to the Megan Racing's.
Sort of. The Eibachs are a progressive rate. The first inch of compression is nearly as soft as stock, after that the rate increases dramitically. The S/Rs are valved for the stiffer rate. This causes the car to seem very "tight" in it's response at moderate speeds to a casual driver. The S/Rs are actually the best possible off-the-shelf strut for the Megan springs. They are very slighty on the loose side of "ideal" damping rates for the Megans, but that is far better in terms of sutained turn performance than too tight would be. In fact, some very experienced road racers prefer a slightly under damped set-up, depending on the track they are at.
I understand that they're progressive rates, but so are H&R's, and you can get rates from H&R. I've had Eibach springs before,a nd they're ridiculously soft. I'll be money neither front nor rear are more than 200 in/lbs on the eibach's at their stiffest. IIRC, we're looking at streetcar stuff, so ride quality needs to be part of the equation as well. If we were looking at racecar dampers, we would not be looking at off the shelf $200 standard McPherson struts.

Bottom line, is if the S/R's are setup for the Eibach's, which I'd be are significantly softer than he Megan Racings, they're going to be under-damped. It doens't matter if the S/R's are the 'best' you can get, they're still under-damped for the application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
^^^Which is why most of the major damper manufacturers have performance divisions that can re-valve a damper to suit your needs or build an adjustable one. Several private tuning companies have the ability as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
What about the Tokiko Blues/ HP's with Megans?

I have had s/rs' with eibachs,
s/r's with sprints,
gr2's with 350lb coils, (these struts dont keep up, yet damping is more than the s/r's)
hp's with eibach pro's (the black ones).

I prefer the latter the best so far. Its a lighter spring rate than the 350lb springs and the HP's are a heavier damper than the s/r. They make the car feel far more solid.

I wonder how the megan springs compare? What is the spring rate on those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
choco said:
I think the megan's are 300 front and 250 rear
This is correct. We have them on our EGT, and couldn't be happier with them.

We're running them on Tokico HPs. Damping is very decent for these springs.

They're pretty low, stiff, and CHEAP!

Quality company. I run their coilovers on my race car. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
ciento44 said:
choco said:
I think the megan's are 300 front and 250 rear
This is correct. We have them on our EGT, and couldn't be happier with them.

We're running them on Tokico HPs. Damping is very decent for these springs.

They're pretty low, stiff, and CHEAP!

Quality company. I run their coilovers on my race car. :D
So you are saying the HPs are tighter than the S/Rs? Part number, sources, and approximate priding, if you would, please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I know Im off topic but can anyone tell me if my Kyb Gr2 with megan springs wont get bottomed out on my EGT 91
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
F-16Wrench said:
ciento44 said:
choco said:
I think the megan's are 300 front and 250 rear
This is correct. We have them on our EGT, and couldn't be happier with them.

We're running them on Tokico HPs. Damping is very decent for these springs.

They're pretty low, stiff, and CHEAP!

Quality company. I run their coilovers on my race car. :D
So you are saying the HPs are tighter than the S/Rs? Part number, sources, and approximate priding, if you would, please.
I have no idea if they're tighter than the S/Rs... i haven't run those. We were going to order the S/Rs, then we saw the price of what was already on the car, the HP/Blues, and figured if they weren't broken, we wouldn't replace them. They usually go for $350-$400 new as far as i can see.

Well, they weren't broken, and they do a very good job of keeping everything under control.

Silverton is correct, they are the Blues. Not my first choice in a strut, but the price was right in this scenario.

Choco, i doubt they would bottom out. Should be fine. The GR2s are valved pretty similar to the HPs if i remember correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
I loved my tokico blue and suspension technique spring setup on my supra. It was good on track days and still tolerable on the street. But it was still very stiff, a couple friends mentioned it when they drove behind me and said the rear of the car barely bounced at all. And they still held up when doing a brakestand, and the motor was putting close to 200ft lb of torque to the wheels.

But you're right, good on a budget, but shouldn't be the first choice ;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top