FEOA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
Joined
·
9,974 Posts
Anything is possible. You can swap all the harnesses but none of it will plug into the components on the ZX2 dash. You will have to swap out the fuel tank, pump, and sending unit as well.

You know what, the more I think about it more I realize how stupid this swap is given the work it will take compared to the gain. It would take far less time and work to build the Zetec and turbo it than it would take to swap an NA BP in. You won't get anymore info out of me on this subject because you are a vary ignorant person who keeps dragging on about something pointless. Good day to you sir!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
madmatt2024 said:
You know what, the more I think about it more I realize how stupid this swap is given the work it will take compared to the gain. It would take far less time and work to build the Zetec and turbo it than it would take to swap an NA BP in. You won't get anymore info out of me on this subject because you are a vary ignorant person who keeps dragging on about something pointless. Good day to you sir!
So I guess the "No personal attacks/name calling" rule doesn't apply to you.

Reported.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
ATXZX2 said:
So I guess the "No personal attacks/name calling" rule doesn't apply to you.

Reported.
What are you like 5 years old or something? Grow up Nancy.. Matt is just stating the facts. I honestly don't see following through with this swap based on the kind of replies you're making and questions you keep asking. Try doing some research on your own before asking people to just hand you the answers to everything..

:club:
 

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
Joined
·
9,974 Posts
I've been trying to steer you to the conclusion that what you want to do isn't as easy as you think and is not worth it but you just kept on going and asking for more information. Information that is out there and you could have looked up yourself. Why do you think nobody else has replied to your questions? I felt I had to be a bit blunt just to the point across.

As for that being a verbal attack, you must have never really seen a verbal attack on a forum before. I certainly didn't have any malicious intent when I said what I said. I was stating a fact.

"Ignorance is the state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm going to the junkyard this week to look for an EGT. I would still like to know if the ZX2 trans could work if I swapped the bellhousings. I have a 98 ZX2 trans that I would like to use because of its gearing (shorter 3,4,5).

Edit: Nevermind, scratch that. I just found out that the gt trans has even shorter gearing then the 98 zx2 trans.
 

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
Joined
·
9,974 Posts
The 98 zx2 trans has the same gearing as the GT trans.
Good luck, your gonna need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
I'm with everyone else on this. How about I swap a Vulcan 3.0 into my SHO, that would be unique and cost me about 80hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
therieldeal said:
you would have to use the bellhousing from a 95-97 kia sephia 1.8 dohc.

although you're welcome to try and make an EGT bellhousing fit. it wont.
Thanks, but now that I know that I won't be losing shorter gearing I'll just stick with the EGT trans.

As for all the hate on doing the swap, yes it is a initial downgrade with a N/A BP, but I eventually hope to have a BPT in it, or maybe even a GTR motor. Plus it's not like I'm swapping out a perfectly good Zetec, it has a blown head gasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
Blown head gasket doesn't mean its not perfectly good. If you are planning on swapping in a BP and Turboing it or swapping in a GTR, head gaskets will become an issue depending on the amount of boost you are running. You might as well change the head gasket and turbo the zetec and save yourself frustration and time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
I owned a 98 zx2 mtx with every bolt-on known to man and a 65 shot of n20 and I now own a bpt escort gt on around 10 psi and they feel about the same to me....I'm with everyone else just get another zetec and turbo it so much easier!.plus I know it don't matter where I live (the sticks) but I don't think your supposed to put a obd1 engine and ecu in a obd2 car are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Zexcort said:
I'm with everyone else just get another zetec and turbo it so much easier!
I'll probably end up doing just that. It's looking like more trouble then it's worth. Not just with the wiring, but I'm already so familiar with the Zetec, I guess I'll just stick with what I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
yeah I had a rod go bendy on me, looks like a banana now. well I didn't do it the previous owner did when the timing belt went or something he did, it was rough when I got it lol. now it purrs, 2 day rod swaps gotta love em, if there's enough carbon built up on the top of the piston when that timing belt goes it can just barely mash the top of that piston down with the valves and that rod says bye bye or is there no way that could happen?

I do love the metal head gaskets that come stock man they hold up good.

so what rods you running Jon? you've gotta have something stronger I'm sure, and it's nice the BP you can remove the wrist pin, can't on the 1.9 unless you have a machine shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I understand silly swaps so I'll help.

Its an easy answer that just requires more work initially, but will eventually save you time.

Swap over ALL the wires from an EGT and add a return line and replace the tank and pump. Your gauges wont work either. You will only have to splice in your gauge cluster as the gt one is a different shape. The gt uses a cable from trans to speedo, the zx2 is wired. Easy fix there, run 2 wires from the speedo sensor to the zx2 gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,622 Posts
Escort92Man said:
yeah I had a rod go bendy on me, looks like a banana now. well I didn't do it the previous owner did when the timing belt went or something he did, it was rough when I got it lol. now it purrs, 2 day rod swaps gotta love em, if there's enough carbon built up on the top of the piston when that timing belt goes it can just barely mash the top of that piston down with the valves and that rod says bye bye or is there no way that could happen?

I do love the metal head gaskets that come stock man they hold up good.

so what rods you running Jon? you've gotta have something stronger I'm sure, and it's nice the BP you can remove the wrist pin, can't on the 1.9 unless you have a machine shop.
I highly doubt your theory about the carbon build up... if that were the case the head would have to have been rebuilt too. Doing all that work and leaving a bent rod in there seems questionable.

Running hard at very high rpms for a long time can sometimes result in bent or stretched rods (ask some miata guys).

I'm running a 100% stock GTR motor, except for the oil pump gears which I upgraded the other day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
dimmwatt said:
I understand silly swaps so I'll help.

Its an easy answer that just requires more work initially, but will eventually save you time.

Swap over ALL the wires from an EGT and add a return line and replace the tank and pump. Your gauges wont work either. You will only have to splice in your gauge cluster as the gt one is a different shape. The gt uses a cable from trans to speedo, the zx2 is wired. Easy fix there, run 2 wires from the speedo sensor to the zx2 gauge.
Sweet, thanks for the info! I figured I'd have to swap over the entire harness. So the ZX2 gauges (including tach.) will work with a little splicing?

I'm still back and forth on the swap. I really like the Zetec, but I would love to have a BPT in the Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just an idea I’m throwing around. I plan on using the ZX2 trans, but what about the wiring harness, how hard would that be to swap over?

Any input would be nice!
The swap is so easy all the connectors/plugs plug into each other and only 1 so u wont get them confused! And all the mounts are the same since they all use the same platform,91-96 escort, 90-94 protege, zx2 98-03! U can even use ur zx2 radiator just have to put a plug where a coolant line goes u dont need anymore! And me personally would run a bp 1.8 theres way more rpm, and a way noticeable difference! To me a zetec is just a spi block with a DOHC head on it! If u race a stock escort gt and even a zx2 with mods trust me experiencelly correct ull get ur ass handed to u by the gt!!
 
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Top