Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else seen these in person?

One of my usual customers just bought one - it's farking beautiful. I want one. Bad.

Believe it or not, this picture doesn't do it justice. It's the new hott shiz. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't seen a 4door in person yet..

and i got rid of the integra, i now own a '93 explorer.. and real quick, run an insurance quote on a mazda3 for a 21 year old male with 4 speeding, 1 reckless, and 1 dui charge. :) that's why i'll stick to my 10 year old cars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i've test driven the 4 door one with the xenon headlights and the nav. screen. it's a really nice car. i would definetly buy one if i wasn't looking for something bigger. much better than the civic or the corolla. scion is coming out with a really nice coupe though. i'll try to find a pic of that one

·
Registered
22 Posts
The mazda 3 is stunning...it really is. the 4 door is rather plain, but I am so big on hatchbacks...oh man. And their 5 door hatchback is totally sweet. Scion is making some cool vehicles as well...the tC looks nice. Mazda is making some awesome automobiles right now, and for around $20 grand....i'd go for it...assuming i had money.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing i like about the Scion tc - available supercharger and the sunroof. What I don't like is that it has the accords "fat butt" rear end and they stole the headlights from the new BMW 6-series... and I've never liked nor been impressed by a N/A Toyota 4cyl in stock form. Celica GT-S's are a joke when it comes to power or straight-line speed.

It was seriously mind-boggling at how nice this Mazda3 looked. I'm still in awe that a >$20k could like that beautiful. I'm gonna attempt to go drive one today..

·
Registered
710 Posts
I saw the same blue 3 as your picture shows when I test drove the MP5 last month. It is a beautiful car and shares its components with the European market Focus and new Volvo S40. And yeah, that under $20k price tag is marvelous for what you get. This thing looks ready for aftermarket support.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
TitoElSpicco said:
The thing i like about the Scion tc - available supercharger and the sunroof. What I don't like is that it has the accords "fat butt" rear end and they stole the headlights from the new BMW 6-series... and I've never liked nor been impressed by a N/A Toyota 4cyl in stock form. Celica GT-S's are a joke when it comes to power or straight-line speed.
Yeah but that engine should be bulletproof, and compression obviously ain't too high for some boost. I would think turbo-ing the stock block to 300hp would be pretty easy.. screw TRD's overpriced supercharger.

Then I'd just need to throw a few suspension mods and stiffen up the shift linkage and drivetrain (bushings and lever). Leave the outside looking stock and the thing would sleep.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Beaverboy said:
Yeah, the Scion tC. I can't believe I'm seriously considering a Toyota (Scion, whatever) passenger car.. 8O

http://www.autosite.com/Previews/2005-scion-tc.asp

2.4L 160hp engine (same as in Camry)
Standard 17" wheels, panoramic sunroof, double wishbone rear.. flat-fold passenger seat (a la Matrix)
Yes, it's a hatch.
Yep that car is simply put, badass. I want it, the only 2 downsides it has over a 2.5RS is the lack of AWD & it's a coupe. Other than that, I want it...Toyota is bringing out a Corolla XRS, 170 hp, 6 sp manual, 4 doors. if thats under 20k I'll get that first.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The TC doesn't have any originality though. It's got the profile of the Hyundai Tiburon, the side window treatment of the Toyota Echo, the front grill assembly of the Subaru Legacy. Overall it's a nice coupe design but it borrows way too heavily from existing models. I'd like to see Toyota design something more outrageous like they've done with the new Solara coupe and the Celica's front end.

Of course, this post isn't about the Mazda 3.... So back to that point, let me just say, the Mazda 3 hatch, with the MSP Callaway turbo kit......would be an awesome ride.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zeemax said:
The TC doesn't have any originality though. It's got the profile of the Hyundai Tiburon, the side window treatment of the Toyota Echo, the front grill assembly of the Subaru Legacy. Overall it's a nice coupe design but it borrows way too heavily from existing models. I'd like to see Toyota design something more outrageous like they've done with the new Solara coupe and the Celica's front end.
:thumbright: Couldn't agree more. There aren't many parts on the tc that i couldn't easily point out on someone else's car. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, but from what i can tell from a styling standpoint - the mazda3 kicks much larger amounts of ace.

Now if they put a real interior in the xb, and made it rwd.. and the xa is just a glorified echo.

Anyone know any REAL specs of the mazda3 2.3 160hp engine?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the mazda6's are hideous. If i wanted a camry with gay tailights, i'd buy a camry with gay tailights.

They do ride and drive nice though. Can't wait to see the new taurus based off of that platform.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i disagree about the mazda 6. its the only midsize sedan that has some style. compared to the camry that only looks good at certain angles and the the accord with the druppy butt, the 6 is the only one that accomplishes the "sport sedan" look. not to mention the price difference. in my opinion mazda has the sexiest line of cars out there right now and with the 3 its just getting better. i do agree that some of the elements of the Tc are borrowed but with the price and the base power i would get that over a civic or a neon.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It's a shame that the mazda 3 is a FWD car.

I personally would take a heavier, less powerful 2.5RS over a mazda 3 just on the basis of handling. AWD is a beautiful thing, and you cant replace handling with power... it just doesn't work that way imo.

Regardless, the mazda3 is dead sexy. It's like a blue Jessica Alba on wheels...

They've done a really nice job on this car. It's an excellent comprimise between cost, efficiency, and power.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I test-drove a 5 door Mazda 3 on Saturday.

:D

The interior is posh. It drives very much like the Protege5, with immediate turn-in, good lateral grip and a firm but never harsh ride. The mid-corner attitude at 7/10ths was as poised and smooth as at a stand-still, so I'm sure it transitions to understeer only during those last two tenths, and probably does so smoothly, but I didn't really want to try to find out while doing 60mph on a cloverleaf entrance ramp. The Goodyear Eagle tires were a bit too grippy to go above 7/10ths.. unlike, say, the Bridgestone RE-92s (aka, the most pathetic tire ever) that come stock on Subarus and Nissans.. which you can max out on a test drive without attracting any attention. The new chassis is really great.. it feels extremely solid (as solid as the current Impreza chassis, or the previous E-Class MB chassis) but is still light and tossable.

The front seats are comfortable and supportive.. the back seats are large enough for the over 6' crowd. The small diameter 3 spoke steering wheel with cruise and radio controls is neat, solid and leather-wrapped. The interior plastics look nice, but are on the firm side.. and frankly, a little over-rated by many of the mags.. but still best in the category.

The shifter is spongey, but I think I'd read before that it's a cable shifter, and you have to realize that I'm comparing it to the B&N in my scort... but even for a stock shifter, it was a little spongey. It shifts very smoothly, the knob and throw are comfortable, and the gates are closely spaced, but there isn't any positive feedback that told my hand that the gear lever was all the way into position. The throw and position were sporty, the feedback wreaked of luxury. I didn't miss any shifts (except for trying to start off in 3rd from the dealership's lot) so that should count for something.

The clutch is very smooth and engages across 50% of the pedal throw (which is on the short side of medium.. not quite a Honda Prelude clutch, but shorter than my scort's), so it's easy to modulate... but I'd wonder about it's maximum holding power.

The engine is very nice (all 5 doors are considered 's' models and have the 2.3L 16v engine w/ variable valve timing and balance shafts), but no screamer. For a sporty image you'd think they might have included an exhaust system that would make a little sound.. this thing is Quiet! Well, the engine only balked that time I tried to start off in 3rd gear, and even then it didn't really threaten to stall. 1st and 2nd gear acceleration were brisk, but not exciting.. but that's probably due to it being so damn quiet. I made a 3rd gear pull from 20-70mph and was impressed with how smooth the torque curve is.. it feels extremely linear and almost flat.

The gauges are pretty, but the tach really needs to be in the center, and the EL red lighting (even in daylight) isn't as easy to read as I'd hoped. In fact, I'm lucky I didn't hit the rev-limiter because the numbers on the tach are so far to the left and low (and I had the seat down as far as I could get it) that taking my eyes off the road to see it was troublesome. Most people will think it's fine the way it is.. but as someone who enjoys screaming down twisty backroads at WOT, I'd rather have a center mounted legible tach than something pretty. I'm sure it's something I'd adapt to quickly if I were to own the car, but it wouldn't make me feel too great about handing the keys to friends. The speedometer's usable area is in the bottom left quadrant of the gauge. Who needs a 140mph speedometer in a car like this :?: 120 would have been sufficient.. 100 would have been optimal. I'm weird like that, though.. I like to be able to read my gauges at a glance.

The rear cargo area comes with a hatchback-style fuzzy moulded cover and there are 2 large hinged cargo loops to tie things down to on each side of the cargo area. The cargo area floor storage bins are nicely packaged, but a little shallow considering the lift height.

The handle for the rear liftgate is under the very bottom of the door. You can see the indentation in the rear bumper. Now, this grabbed my attention because I live in an area where snow and ice like to build up on car bumpers overnight. I wouldn't be too impressed if I went to load up the rear of my new Mazda and couldn't get the door open because there was so much snow and ice wedged up inside that stupid little depression. On the plus side, an aftermarket rear bumper with no indent, coupled with an electronic release mechanism would be hot.

The brakes are plenty big, and I'm sure they'd last through a good mountain road flogging without fade.

The wheels.. the wheels look nice, but scream "HEAVY". I think the 0-60 time, and the feeling of acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear would be much better with some 16s. It looks like finding 16s to clear the brakes wouldn't be to hard.

The dealership didn't have any cars on the lot with HIDs, but even so they managed to price them all above 18 grand. According to the website a 3s hatch with ABS & Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Front Side and Curtain Airbags, HIDs, Tire Pressure Monitoring System should come to $18,500.. none of the cars on the lot were equipped as well. Oh, of course they're trying to charge things like $500 dealer prep :roll: Hey, at least leather is only a $500 option.

Unfortunately, the moonroof only comes with the 6 in-dash disc changer.. which is useless to someone like me who has converted to MP3.

The good news is that the Protege(3) is still fun to drive, the next Focus probably won't suck donkey balls (except for in the styling dept), and wagons are universally cool for once.

The bad news is that the Volvo S40 is out of my price range, Mazda hasn't put the Renesis in the 3 yet (and doesn't appear to be working on it) and today's car salesmen know more about the radios in the cars than anything that actually makes them tick :?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
TitoElSpicco said:
if it handles anything remotely like the mp3 or mazdaspeed protege's, handling won't be an issue. they handle like no stock fwd car i've ever experienced.. imho, better than a type r teg.
That's not really a fair comparison, even the Celica GT-S handles better than the 00-01 ITR... the ITR is overhyped. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

The Mazda3 is going places.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.