FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know what yall think of marvel mystery oil. I just replaced a lifter that was causing a tick and still have a slight tick till pressure comes up. I have about 2k miles till my next oil change. Right now it has 10w-30 Syntec oil and a K&N filter. I have 5w-30 Syntec and another K&N filter for it when it needs changing. I want to put something in it now to clean out the other lifters in case they are just slightly gummy before the next oil change. I have heard a few on hear say good things about it and want to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you could use that, or some sea foam? I'ma sea foam my EGT engine after I replace my bent rod, but that engine is CLEAN inside and out so just half a bottle should clean my engine up nicely. idk I know a guy in auto put marvel mystery oil in his acura with 220k miles and a bad lifter tick he sold it the next day the tick was gone. not sure what to tell ya lightning MM or SF, and btw those 1.9 lifters are a PAIN, my red 1.9 scort remains parked because of that stupid engine, but the BP goes like mad all day long I love it!

later on man :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
meh, I don't find anything wrong with lifter tick, you only hear it when the hood is up anyway. Lucky you guys don't own a toyota with the infamous injector tick. You hear when each injector pulses.

I have heard nothing but good about Marvel's though.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I one guy one here said not to use seafoam in the crank-case case, cause it could wash out the bearings iirc. My tick is on startup when the engine is cold and really slight when idling when cold. That is the main reason for switching to 5w-30 and the owners manual says to use it too. I just want to use the mmo to insure the lifters are not sticking. The bottle says it helps protect hydraulic lifters. I'll probably get some Friday when I get paid. I know it cleans good from experience on my friend's '95 geo prism. It had 210k miles on it and he had had it for 40k miles. Those 40k were on the "wal-mart special" oil. His dad had one geo go 510k on that stuff oddly enough and it just needed new rings before they started using it for parts. We did the timing belt and when we removed the vc it was all varnished up, not sludgy. We ran the mmo for about 1,500 miles before changing the oil over to valvoline maxlife since it was a high-mileage synthetic blend. He is back in school in SC and says it idles smother. I know it cleans well from that, I don't know how it does with hydraulic lifters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts