FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried to convert their manual windows to power by using the door harness from a power windows equiped car? or does anybody know if it would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
Yes someone has and I´m going to be trying it myself. all you´d need to do is find a junked Escort with power windows in a yard and take the relays, wiring and solenoids and hook it all up. Someone who has done it can give you a more detailed setup. but I know it´s possible. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I am in the process of making a how-to on putting power windows in your escort. I stripped the wiring out of the door of an escort with power windows and plugged it in and hooked up the window motor and it didnt work. I just ended up running the wiring for the windows but they work great. I also put little lights where the window crank used to be that turn on and shine on the ground when you open the door. There is one thing that you are going to have to do to make them work and that is you are going to have to drill some holes to mount the rail if you get the power windows from a 4-door escort. I couldnt find a 2-door with power windows so that is why i say you are going to have to drill some holes. As soon as i get more time i am going to finish the how-to and post it, also it has pictures and stuff to make it easier. Hope some of this helps. :-]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
The harnesses i got were from a 4-door because i couldnt find a 2-door but they plugged right in but they just didnt work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I dont think the harnesses work but if it does you need the power window motor and the window regulator that are in the power window car, they are one piece. Also i took the switches from the back two doors (4-door) and used them as my switches to operate my power windows. That is all i took from the junked car then i wired them up and everything. I have a pic of what the switches look like and where i mounted them on my cardomain page if you want to see it go to www.cardomain.com/id/trashknight You can rate my scort while you are there also. :-]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I got a generic kit off eBay for power windows and locks. I got it hooked up ok. I got it hooked up to my alarm so when I arm it the windows go up if there down. Its a nice feature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
31-03-2003 at 15:06, Trashknight wrote:
I dont think the harnesses work but if it does you need the power window motor and the window regulator that are in the power window car, they are one piece. Also i took the switches from the back two doors (4-door) and used them as my switches to operate my power windows. That is all i took from the junked car then i wired them up and everything. I have a pic of what the switches look like and where i mounted them on my cardomain page if you want to see it go to www.cardomain.com/id/trashknight You can rate my scort while you are there also. :-]
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

I´ll let you know if the harness from a two door car will work. I just bought a pair and will be testing them as soon as i get them. Maybe the four door ones don´t work because our cars are wired for two. There are two Mercury LTS in a U-pick/U-pull bone yard in my area, so if anybody is interested, pls let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Cool cool, i hope it works because it would make things a lot easier on you. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
we should try and make a nice how-to section, thats one thing i like about ERDT that we dont have, but still, WHERES THE LOVE!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great News!!! Here is all that is needed to convert an EGT with manual windows to power windows and door locks.

1) L/R power window regulators from a two door car preferably.(these are plug and play install) the four door ones will work but the two top screw holes don´t match up.

2) L/R door wiring harness from a 2 door P/W car.

3) L/R switches and interior pieces.

All of these parts will install without any mods whatsoever. Just make sure the parts are from a two door car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,128 Posts
i had done this to my 91 pony a while ago. its quie easy. everybody on ERDT always made it sound like converting was some big huge mess. it isnt.

you take the door panel off, unbolt your old stuff, bolt the new stuff in, lay the harness down in there and plug it in. thats about it. it only gets rough when yo uneed to run the wires across the car under the dash for the master control switch to the passengers side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
08-04-2003 at 16:57, PonyExpress wrote:
i had done this to my 91 pony a while ago. its quie easy. everybody on ERDT always made it sound like converting was some big huge mess. it isnt.

you take the door panel off, unbolt your old stuff, bolt the new stuff in, lay the harness down in there and plug it in. thats about it. it only gets rough when yo uneed to run the wires across the car under the dash for the master control switch to the passengers side.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

That´s why this mod is so simple. there´s no wires to run anywhere, simply remove the manual stuff and install the power stuff. The hardest part would be finding a twoo door car w/ power stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Yeah that is the problem i had, i couldnt find a 2-door with power windows so i had to run wires and drill some holes. Where are the window switches on a 2-door located? Are they on the armrests like the 4-doors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just need to add one more item needed.

1) Door lock relay, preferably from an equiped Escort but can also be from an MX-3 or Protege.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
08-04-2003 at 15:32, ocorzo wrote:
Great News!!! Here is all that is needed to convert an EGT with manual windows to power windows and door locks.

1) L/R power window regulators from a two door car preferably.(these are plug and play install) the four door ones will work but the two top screw holes don´t match up.

2) L/R door wiring harness from a 2 door P/W car.

3) L/R switches and interior pieces.

All of these parts will install without any mods whatsoever. Just make sure the parts are from a two door car.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
I want to hook up power windows to my passenger side, but I don´t want to put a switch over there. I rarely have people in my car and I don´t want them trying to fry my fuses anyway. :-]
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top