FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a pair of manual seat belt assemblies to swap in place of my automatic ones. Anyone have a set they wanna get rid of? What year did they switch to power?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Hahahaha! Right on, Don. I have an '87 in my front yard that has auto seat belts. I'd suggest '86 and earlier for manuals, and (of course) Tempo/Topaz. Mustangs would probably work as well, the same with Taurus/Sable. The biggest problem you'll run into is actually mounting it. I had to cut a small slit for the locking tab on my Tempo units so they'd not move about once bolted in. It took a couple minutes with a dremel on each side. I sourced them from a 2 door, so they're rather large for a 4 door (very large people can wear a seatbelt in my car).

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
He mentioned wanting manual units to swap in. Can't say I blame him. While I kind of like the lap belt in the auto units (the lock release is quite handy) the shoulder belt is what gets me. It's a little short, although I'll admit they're pretty safe, and will handle a 70 mph crash just fine. The problem is where to mount the shoulder belt if going to full manual? If he had the auto belt connection from a '90s Thunderbird, then he can use the clip, which then acts more like a manual unit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, yeah....never thought of that. Where did they mount the shoulder anchor on the manuals? Will the track for the auto seatbelt prevent me from mounting in the manual anchor?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
You have to remove the auto seatbelt track. After that the bolt holes are already in place (in a couple different spots even) for the shoulder belts to mount to. Next time I'm in Athens (this weekend Farcas!) we can meet and I'll show you how my car is set up. I was amazed when I found everything already in place for mounting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice thread. I hate auto seat belts too. I disconnected the drivers side on my EGT, I was delivering pizza at the time and it was driving me crazy.

My mother had auto seat belts in her old thunder-chicken and the auto seat belts caused her to break her leg. She did not put the car in park, it started rolling, she jumped in to put her foot on the brake and the seat belt pushed her to the ground where the back tire rolled over her leg. Could have been allot worse and I thought auto seat belts were for safety. :lol:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
While I was shopping for my '89 LX, I went to see a number of cars before I found the one and every single car that I saw had manual seat belts. Pony, LX, GT alike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.