FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Anybody seen Siragan? My grandmother lives in a different part of Upstate NY, and she has power right now. I wonder if he's outa power?

Is it just me, or is this the summer of shit breaking? Maybe it's just because I've got some massive plumbing problems here at home right now (and all sorts of systems are breaking down at work :x )

Anyway, seems to be a lack of Ontario folk on this evening.. so it's not all bad :p :p

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Beaverboy said:
Anyway, seems to be a lack of Ontario folk on this evening.. so it's not all bad :p :p
:thefinger: :knob: :wink:

Yeah, that was a blast getting from Guelph to Brantford. Hwy. 6 is bad enough even with stop lights. 8O At least I didn't go through Cambridge, that really would have been a mess :tongue1:

Fired up the BBQ for supper. Because of the concern of running out of water I couldn't wash the car so I busted out the 'ol wire brush and cleaned up my valve cover while listening to the news on the radio. Gave it a shot of clear coat when I finished. Looks pretty good for about a half an hour of work.

Power came on here at about 9:00pm.

It wasn't a total loss, I got to work on my car for once :thumbleft:

By the way, at least with what I had to deal with, it's nowhere near as bad as what the media makes it out to be. I almost enjoyed it. Even got to boil water over the BBQ to make my instant coffee :!:

I wonder how that shmuck sirigan is making out in good ol NY :?: :p

Best of luck to all still in the affected areas.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
268 Posts

There was no power in Hamilton as well. But the thing that makes me think is that only one failure and 1/4 Of North America without power. Perfect for terorists. So what the BS those people were saying about national security?!?! And besides where the hell all that power of 2 Ontario Nuke Plants went to? Who is responsibe for that power failure? Why there was a huge fire and smoke in Oakville so you can see it across lake Ontario???

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Re: 123

AleX said:
Who is responsibe for that power failure?
I used to work in the electric utility industry. When something bad happens like that (something bad being defined as anything from mechanical or electrical problems or a rodent eating through wires in a substation) the load no longer matches the available power generation. When that happens the generators overspeed and protective equipment take the generators offline. As to any "fix", forget about it. No amount of money can. In theory, could isolate parts of the electrical system in order to "island" power plants to matched loads and everything will be just fine. But in actual practice, you don't have enough time to do this as it would take several minutes or even hours when you only have milliseconds. This happens every 20-30 years or so, get used to it.

One more thing. Restarting power plants, espically nuclear or large coal plants takes more time than you would think. All of the bigger plants are multiunit nuclear and coal, and they start one at a time. And, for example a coal plant you have to start certain parts and get them running before you can actually switch on the generator (and yes there is warm start and cold start times, as well as a limit on the number of attempted starts within a given time period, etc.). I have my doubts as to how automated this process might be, if at all.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,870 Posts
Finally back on line!
Our power was out from around 4:10 pm yesterday to around 4:30 pm today. So over 24 hours for me! The DSL only started working now, 3 hrs later, though, so here I am!
I was on a computer this morning and the internet worked there, but FEOA was unattainable from there at the time(it was cable internet).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.