FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All.

I had posted a few weeks back about a CEL I had that was a misfire in Cylinder #3. ('97 lx, MT, 118k) I figured it was from some bad gas, so I filled up with high test, put some drygas and fuel system cleaner in, and figured they would work themselves out. For a few days it did seem like things were better, but since then they have only gotten worse.

The problem was then whenever I was trying to put the engine under load or lug it even slightly, there is just nothing there. It knocks severly or just misfires and my CEL blinks at me. When I am up to speed, things are fine. It will cruise along great until I really need to step on it.

I pulled all the plugs and checked the gap, they were all fine. The plugs and wires are less than a year old, and the air filter isnt great, but is far from plugged. I just changed my fuel filter about 400 miles before I ran into the problem. I have since been through three tanks of fuel, and no signs of things getting better.

I would like to try to fix it one last time before I break down (literally and figuratively) and take it to a mechanic. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

~Bug

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I went to a local parts store and they pulled the codes for me.

Ill check the connections on the #3 injector. Is there a way to tell if the injector itself is the problem? And how hard are they to pull/replace?

Ill try and nab a compression tester from a buddy for testing. Is there a range I should be looking for? Or just that it is similar to the other cylinders?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

~Bug

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Clarkbug said:
Is there a way to tell if the injector itself is the problem?
You can to the cylinder balance test as part of the self test diagnostics after you pull the computer codes. At least I can on my 1995LX. All IO need is a jumper wire. I have no idea if you can do this on an OBDII car, but I would imagine so.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Don't discount the possibility of bad plug wires. I just replaced a 3 month old set on the GTP because #5 was misfiring under load or part-throttle acceleration. Replaced wire and situation cured.

Moral of story - don't skimp on plug wires. And don't assume that because they're new, they're still good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea about the cyilnder balance test on an OBDII engine either. But, what is it that you jumper to do this test?

And I did just pick up a new set of wires today in fact, and Im going to go put them in as soon as it stops raining here. I also picked up some new Bosch +2 plugs to see if that will help my situation, and a new air filter, just because its time to change that anyway.

Thanks for all the help so far, Ill keep you posted.

~Bug

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the problem is now solved.

I put in the new plugs and wires, and it runs like a champ. The strange thing is that it seems like the cylinder #2 wire is the one that was bad, but cylinder #3 was the one misfiring. But I guess if one wire has crapped the bed after a year, the others couldnt be too far behind at all.

Thanks for all of the help guys, its very much appreciated.

~Bug

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
For the record, a mis-fire is by no means a "Major engine issue". I was expecting to read something about a cracked block/shattered rod/etc. I was at least HOPING for a couple bent valves or a massive rod-knock. A mis-fire was rather dissappointing.

:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I suppose that it isnt a "major engine issue".

But you did look at the topic, right? :D

And it was a major issue to me at least. Things progressed from just sorta chugging under load to the engine barely able to idle. But I guess in the future Ill try to be more specific with my topic names :p

~Bug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts