FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever epoxy a magnet to the trann drain plug to catch metal flakes?

Is it worth my time, or are most flakes non-ferrous?

I am going to do a fluid change in the tranny soon and was thinking this might be a good idea considering how many missed shifts I have going from 1-2 (damn worn syncro).

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
sorry the dealerships beat you to it... there is a magnet in the case already that picks up filings its whole life.

funny story my old tranny was taken apart last week to find that the differential case was mashed and the pinion and side gears were destroyed... but the magnet was so full of crap that i would not pick up anything any more... dont get me wrong yours wont be that bad, mines only that bad because i had a bunch of my case shaved off by the diff not spinning correctly. but you will be fine.

also i would add, yeah an extra one cant hurt but thats just all the more you risk metal getting loose in the tranny if it were to break off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Magnet

I just serviced the tranny on my 91 EGT last week and there were Two Circular magnets on the bottom of the inside of the pan. But my question is How dirty should it be? Mine was Caked with this sludge looking crap.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: Magnet

pyrophan said:
I just serviced the tranny on my 91 EGT last week and there were Two Circular magnets on the bottom of the inside of the pan. But my question is How dirty should it be? Mine was Caked with this sludge looking crap.
How long was it since you last changed your fluid?Usually old fluid will build up on them after time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts