FEOA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few questions about the MAF sensor. I have a 93 1.9L, I noticed if i open the throttle (by hand) the maf clicks a few times at part throttle. only in one position and only for a short time. Is this normal?

Also i saw mention that carb cleaner can be used to clean the maf sensor. what about contact cleaner?

Richard

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
There should be no clicking; there are no moving parts and no step impulses. It's basically just two wire resistors; one's heated and one isn't. The amount of current directed at the heated wire changes in proportion to the mass of air passing by it and cooling it. There are some relays nearby - are you sure one of them isn't the source of the clicking?

Be very careful if you chose to clean your MAF, especially when pulling the MAF out and putting it back in - the wires are delicate. I wouldn't use carb cleaner. You're gonna want something that is compatible with plastic; the cans should indicate if the product is suitable for plastic. Contact cleaner is likely okay. Use a fine hair brush.

You're gonna need a #20 tamper proof torx bit - $5 Cdn at your parts store. If the wires are grimed up, you may want to clean out a larger portion of the air intake and your throttle body too. It's an indication that you aren't changing your air filter frequently enough.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts