FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a mass airflow meter on these cars to get rid of the seriously restrictive one on there? Im just looking for small ways to get a little more power out of my 4cy race car without spending tons of money.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Pro-M makes larger MAF housings that you can buy. Just swap the guts, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
how big is your throttle body? cause im gonna bet its not larger than your maf is .......by far

the spi maf(which is what I assume your talking about since your name says 97) isnt too small at all

even if you have a huge mouth you have to have the appetite and bowels to get it out lol

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
^ celerys right

unless your ported, running a 3.8TB, w/ open exhaust and or cam'd - the SPI MAF houseing is adequate

Im ported, running a 3.8TB, and went up to a late model 3.8 MAF houseing w/ a 3L MAF sensor. We're talking a 4" MAF houseing. Im considering dremeling the sample tube to match the 2L MAF and drop back down to the 2L sensor - not sure yet. mid range to top end the 3L sensor is sweet, bottom end it can be a dog if not driven right.

an alternative I toyed around with is swapping in a 5L MAF sensor into the 2L houseing - its very intruigeing what the results were, I ran like that for about a year. <--- try this .... you'd never believe it if I told you my results (and before anyone chimes in, I never ran rich or lean with this setup)

I did find that the 4L and 3.8L sensors dont work very well in either houseing.

the 3.8L MAF setup is viewable in the link in my sig. Let me add, it requires a 4" MAF adapter to run this setup aswell as a 4"/3" coupler.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
There is no way I would consider the stock SPI MAF "seriously restrictive." The stock throttle body is 1 3/4" and the MAF is 3". Despite the thing in the middle of it it still should flow more than the stock throttle body could ever suck.

Out of curiosity 97DragScort, what were your results with the 5.0 MAF in the 2.0 housing?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
when I first installed it, I expected it to run rich/lean or not run at all. To my surprise, it ran like a champ... bottom end power came in much faster and the mid to top was very clean. Idle was spot on aswell. I thought the switching characteristics of the 5L sensor would cause major issues, but like I said, it surprised the hell out of me. I installed it on a clean ECU reset and it did take a few starts for it to "see" an idle window, but from there on, it ran tip-top.

BTW, that pic doesnt do the size of the MAF houseing any justice - the thing is massive compared to the 2L houseing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, it just looked small to me until i pulled the tb off and saw the difference. Im going to do the porting and tb next week. I'm just looking for small and cheap ways to bump the performance up a little. I really just need top end power since im running it in second at 5500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts