FEOA Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got a set of Infinity component speakers for the front a few weeks ago. Currently trying to figure out how to mount the tweeters. My friend has a 3D printer so I may go that route and make something custom in CAD, if I can manage it. I picked up a small class D amp from a local pawn shop for the subs and ordered an amp wiring kit. I also ordered new Motorcraft struts, Gabriel strut mount and bellow/bump stop kits, and H&R lowering springs. Tirerack currently has the springs on clearance for $158 with free shipping which is by far the cheapest I have ever seen them. Here is the link if anybody wants a set. https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H&R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&sku=51685

Reactions: OvalSports

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Pretty good deal. Let’s us know how much the actual drop and ride quality is.
It will be a little while till I get to installing them. Parts availability is drying up so I'm finding myself buying stuff before I actually need it just to secure it. The H&Rs are supposed to drop it 1.3" front and rear which is similar to the ZX2 S/R's setup. You also don't really have another choice right now if you want new lowering springs from a reputable brand that are specifically for a 3rd gen. All the others are basically eBay brands or slightly better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are some marketed for early model Mazda’s which will work, but I agree these are a great deal.

When I lowered my original Z back in 2003 I needed to by several cambered bolts. One on each strut was not enough to dial in the alignment, so we replaced both stock bolts on each strut.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How much did you end up lowering it though? Some extra camber is OK and shouldn't cause excessive tire wear. I also have access to an alignment machine so I can afford to play around with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It was about the same, 1.0-1.5, no more than 1.5”.
I believe they were eibach springs or another larger name before H&R was known.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The parts finally came in, no thanks to Rockauto which shorted me the front struts from my order. To top it off, one of them was a wholesaler closeout with only one in stock so I had to buy that strut at full price dispite the fact that they were the ones that screwed up and lost/shorted me the discounted one. At least I have them now, four ZX2/coupe specific Motorcraft struts with Gabriel mounts, bumpstops, and boots. The H&R springs also came in, they look like a really nice set with a matte blue/purple powder coat finish. The surprising part is that they aren't old stock, one of the pieces of paperwork has a 11/19/2018 revision date so they have been making those springs for at least 20 years and possibly still do! The wiring kit for my amps also came in.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Sounds like you have a full weekend planned. Maybe I missed it earlier, what was the need for the Gabriel mounts?
If your car was 23 years old with 150K+ miles on it and you were replacing the springs and struts, wouldn't you also replace the mounts?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts