FEOA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is what weve done and what we used then all go into whats wrong.

- 1.8L BP from a 93 Scort GT tranny from same car
- engine harness from same car (including fuse box etc)
- misc parts from other cars but everything is there (as far as I know)

We did not change out the dash harness but are using the ecu from that same 93 GT

The problem:

when we turn the key we get clicking (mostly coming from the fuel injector relay in the fuze box) but the starter is not turning and I dont here the fuel pump kicking on pre start like it should.

There are 2 grounds on the harness that I have found so far are grounded where there suposed to be one is a small white connector looking deal with a round ground on it the other is the main ground that sits on the tranny and come direct off the harness.

On that back of the motor I have 2 connectors that I could not figure out where they go after everything was plugged in. Right now I have 2 things plugged into the starter one is the lead for the starter and the other is what I believe to be a ground that is bolted to the back of the block and has a white connector that plugs into the starter. The other 2 connectors I cant figure out are both sitting right in that general area.

I should also mention that we do have dash lights, signals, whipers, power mears etc and they are all working.

I can nab some pictures later but what do you guys think we should check?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I think you need the dash harness as well when you do that swap.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey Megz i'm getting ready to do the swap in the morning at least phase 1(removing the 1.9 engine,transmission,harness,fenders,hood,bumper,and installing the donor 1.8 harness,painted dash,steering column, etc...!

then the following weekend i will begin phase 2 (installing engine,transmission,axles,fluids, and initial startup hopefully!

if you haven't got it figured out yet and i get her running i'll let ya know something.

·
Registered
605 Posts
just swapped engine harness,ECU,heater core,1995 dash,gas pedal(cruise equipped),key cylinder on new column(cruise equipped),dash harness,neutral safety switch,

removed axles,radiator, oil, power steering lines, 1.9 engine harness, old 1993 dash, old steering column,

gonna pick up where i left off in the morning and remove the engine, pressure wash the engine bay, install the new dash and misc. items, begin to clean the 1.8 block maybe reassemble the intake, modify exhaust on the 1.8 to fit the wagon this should complete phase 1 of my project.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yo

So we did get the dash harness out it was fun :D I took my agreession out ont he last little bit and we feel much better after murdering the last bit of the harness with a stake knife...

Now I just got to go pull the dash harness out the that GT and that will be fun (I think we will leave the knifes at home).

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
did you take the dash out to pull the dash harness out? The harness is a breeze to remove once the dash is out... and the dash is pretty easy to remove as well. I've done it 5-6 times on my blue car now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Megz said:
when we turn the key we get clicking (mostly coming from the fuel injector relay in the fuze box) but the starter is not turning and I dont here the fuel pump kicking on pre start like it should.
Geh, I remember having that same problem... I just can't remember what I did to solve it.

The fuel pump acted the same way, but that is normal. And yea, I did have to get the dash harness to complete the swap. Well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im in the middle of this swap right now too, i really doubt the dash harness is going to affect anything because its not needed to run the car... all it does is power the radio and the heater controlls. iv driven my car without the dash and had only the metal support to hold the column. the gauges and blinkers and all come right off the main harness. im nerveous about this fuel problem iv heard so much about... let me know what it is when u find out cause im sure il encounter it as well. also im having to rewire is my blinkers and wipers... 93-95 is differnt apparently...

·
Registered
8 Posts
so i can officially say u messed something up... my car fired right up and i did not change the dash harness... my only problem is the coolant gauge and fan arnt working...

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea the fan is a rewire but when i did my swap i did NOT need to change the dash harness and i swapped a 91 egt eng/trans/ecu . recheck your wires to your starter , there should be a single BLACK female spade type connector make sure its on its intended spade on the starter. as for the fan i just used an after market temp switch an relay , im sure there is a proper way but i never bothered

1 - 15 of 15 Posts