FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only my high beams work on my 88 gt. What could be wrong with it or is some wire loose or disconnected???

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Relays look like little 1"x1"x1" black cubes. They're above the driver's feet. Click your lights on and off and listen for the relay, then touch each relay while you click it until you "feel" the one clicking.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've got the lights on my EGT wired up via switches. It passed inspection. I dunno if your guys are as lenient, but it's a surefire way to make it work. The combonation swtich on the stalk could also be fried. If you're in a pinch, just run to radioshack, pick up some 14ga wire and run your own lines. You can run crimp connectors into the existing wires and just pull it out when you're ready to fix it correctly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to do it the right way. Can you give me a checklist of parts to check. I am still not sure on the relay thing. It clicks when I pull the light switch one space out. Could this be it?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Before you go any further, pull the bulbs and check to make sure both filaments in each bulb are intact.

I agree, it is more likely to be a common mode failure (switch or relay), but check the bulbs first. That should take you three minutes and may solve your stress. I'd bet on the switch before the relay - the switch will take a bit more effort to replace.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just checked the bulbs and they are both fine. The light switch on the column won't stay in the high beam position. I did find a switch under the dash that turns the high beams on. How could I modify that switch to turn on the low beams???

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just checked the bulbs and they are both fine. The light switch on the column won't stay in the high beam position. I did find a switch under the dash that turns the high beams on. How could I modify that switch to turn on the low beams???

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I've had both low's go at the same time. Went out to the car after work and nothing...both bulbs went...weird.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THis is my problem. The previous owner had a wire coming from the high beam wire on the steering column. That wire was then put to one side of a switch. The other side of the switch was a wire that goes under the dash, wraps around a fuse in the fuse box and then goes to a group of wires connected to the electric fan. It worked for the high beams. I took apart the wire that wrapped around the fuse in the fuse box because it was melted around it. I then took the wire that hooked up to the green high beam wire in the steering column and hooked it up to the red and black wire on the steering column that I think is the low beam wire. And I ran the other part of the switch straight to that hookup on the electric fan. The low beams did not work. Do I need to put that wire to the fusebox back in. How could I do it safer?? And could I hook up some type of toggle switch to switch between high and low beam??

·
Registered
657 Posts
There are two lighting issues that happen with these cars (well known on other fords as well).

The headlight switch fries.
The high beam switch fries (in the column)

I would pull them both to check for melted contacts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts