FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay,so,this is my first car,ever. I bought it like,less than a week ago & when we bought it we knew about this rumbling noise but it didnt change our minds about buying it. when ever i put it in reverse it like rumbles from the back. it doesnt stop till you take it out of reverse. is that just normal? it doesnt seem too normal to me. it's really loud & im hoping to gosh its not a big exspensive problem. also,there is something wrong with the automatic locking system it only locks the drivers door,and nothing else. Im pretty sure the alarm activates,but i dont know. my dad said something also about some kind of wires hanging down in the back. if you could answer my questions that'd be great!

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
As for the locking only the Driver's side...

On your remote does it state "Driver's side only"? Some cars only came with remote lock/unlock on the driver's door. Mine is one of them.

If you could describe the "wires hanging down" or post a picture, that would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
the rumbling when backing up is probably something related to the brakes, either the springs that hold the shoes in broke and they are bouncing around in there, or the shoes just need replaced/ adjusted.

yes, your car is probably a 1997, and has the driver keyless entry system. it may have been available in 98 too, but I've not seen it yet.

wires?

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
when unlocking, it does the driver door first, then the second click does the passenger doors.

when locking, one click does all 4 doors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clicking the button twice does not work. i have tried multiple times.

and the wires that are hanging down in the back are called stabilizer links..

how sure of the brakes causing the rumbling because the rumbling doesnt happen with the brakes on,so could it possibly be something with the trans? it happens with our without the brakes on,it doesnt matter,and it only happens in reverse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like I said above, you probably have a car that only has the Driver's side lock/unlock. The passenger and rear doors are manual lock.

Stabilizer links aren't wires... They are solid pieces connecting the frame and the chassis. I'm now very confused with what you mean by hanging down...

Is there anything in the trunk that might be loose? Maybe in reverse, the car vibrates in back more?

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,064 Posts
My car came with the drivers door only remote. I added the extra actuators and power door lock switches so now all my doors lock and unlock remotely.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm going to say its your exhaust hitting near the back end. I have replaced my exhaust pipes and if they are not perfect, they will hit the under carriage of the body. And mine will only do it in reverse and at idle most times. It has to do with the engine speed I think causing it to reverberate. Mine hits near the gas tank on the passenger side of the car near the bend in the exhaust pipe. As for the remote, mine only does the drivers door as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks,that kind of makes sense..

im thinking im going to wait a little while & save some more money before I get it looked at for the rumbling,as for the stablizer links,they dont move,but you can look in the back & see that they are hanging somewhere they are not supposed to be.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I doubt the problem is related to the trans if it was the trany it would vibrate in R or D or OD if it happens only on reverse I suggest a rear brake inspection and clean. also inspect the end links and arm support.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Re: loud"rumbling"in the back when in reverse &amp

first_timer said:
okay,so,this is my first car,ever. I bought it like,less than a week ago & when we bought it we knew about this rumbling noise but it didnt change our minds about buying it. when ever i put it in reverse it like rumbles from the back. it doesnt stop till you take it out of reverse. is that just normal? it doesnt seem too normal to me. it's really loud & im hoping to gosh its not a big exspensive problem. also,there is something wrong with the automatic locking system it only locks the drivers door,and nothing else. Im pretty sure the alarm activates,but i dont know. my dad said something also about some kind of wires hanging down in the back. if you could answer my questions that'd be great!

thanks
The "wires" that are hanging down are probably the e-brake cables. That won't cause you any problems. When you say it happens when you put in reverse and stops when you take it out, is the car actually moving or sitting still? If it's still. I'd say you have a trans problem. If you are moving it could be the brakes, is your foot on the brake pedal, or something like a rear wheel bearing. Is it coming from one side?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.