FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I went to leave for work my clutch tweaked out on me. It was OK for about 3 presses, then I pressed it and I could feel it lose pressure as I was holding the pedal down. It basically engaged without me letting off the pedal. So of course that stalled the car. I pushed it down a small hill in the parking lot but couldn't make it to another spot, so I started it again and then the clutch was fine. I ended up taking the 323 to work, and looked at the scort when I got home. Doesn't appear to be any leaking fluid anywhere and the brake fluid is not low. Any ideas as to why it would do this? Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
air in the line (bleed the clutch line) best case scenario.

not-so-good case scenario, master cylinder or slave cylinder seal is fubar. if you've got no leaking under the hood, check under the dash, maybe it's leaking back around the piston on the pedal....

sounds like a broken clutch master to me.

oh, it might be a pinched reservoir hose, a very low possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

good luck, no clutch = teh suck.

--sarge

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
this would explain parts of why you may be seeing the clutch chatter at times and stalling. cause i know you are not new to a clutch car. i will just give you a call.

NEUMAN

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a trip to pull-a-part :wink:.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. Jaymee is gone all day saturday anyway.

·
Registered
328 Posts
no no no, dont listen to anyone i JUST had this problem and just fixed it... the problems would be... the slave cylinder.. not enough fluid in the resivoir or your clutch master cylinder which is located behind the battery, follow the clutch line from the slave cylinder... i just had to replace the slave and the clutch master cylinder cause of lack of pressure

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
pLx said:
no no no, dont listen to anyone i JUST had this problem and just fixed it... the problems would be... the slave cylinder.. not enough fluid in the resivoir or your clutch master cylinder which is located behind the battery, follow the clutch line from the slave cylinder... i just had to replace the slave and the clutch master cylinder cause of lack of pressure
the clutch master goes out more often then the slave. since he has no leaks out side his car its the clutch master. cause what happens is the seals go out and it leaks into the driverside floor board. the cylinder is so hi in the firewall you can see the leak unless you stick your head down thee and look up. its a simple fix 2 bolts, unclip jumper hose, unthread clutchline. then reattach and bleed out the slave.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
735 Posts
Speaking of bleeding...*shudder*

Here's my semi-hijacking question... When I put the new engine in, instead of just unbolting the clutch line from the mount at the front of the engine I was dumb and unscrewed it under the battery. I had hte wife help me bleed the clutch line and thought it was all OK, but it still feels weird. Every so often I can push in the clutch pedal slowly and feel, what I believe, are little air bubbles. The proper method for bleeding the clutch is pump the pedal 5 or 6 times and hold it in on the last pump, have someone open the bleeder screw until fluid stops coming out and tighten it back up, then do the process all over again until there aren't any bubbles in the fluid coming out. How many times would you usually have to do this? </hijack>

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I bled Neuman's I had Jaymee just press it once each time I opened it, then I closed it while she was still holding it down. Probably about 15 times total.

·
Administrator
9,286 Posts
no bro.. its the master cyl, if you hold it down and the presssure leaks out its the mater cylinder. if it was sthe slave sylinder and the presure leaked out you woul have brake fluid allover the fron tof your motor. just replace them both and call it good.

·
Registered
328 Posts
see the thing about that is regardless wether it is leaking or not it could be one or the other i was'nt leaking fluid AT ALL from the clutch master or the slave i was just not getting pressure because the rubber gromet on the inside of the clutch master was rotted thus causing me to pull in air every time i pumped the clutch there was no leak of fluid for the simple fact the fluid is at the front of the piston not the back... the back being closest to the firewall... and there is one nut in the engine compartment and one in the passanger compartment next to the pedal position sensor ( little white box next to the pedal ) its a turd to get to but it can be done without even removing the bottem part of the dash, check the bushing on your slave cylinder.. if theres any cracks or slits replace the busing but i would replace both just to be on the safe side it will cost you like 52$ all together at auto zone for the clutch master and slave cylinders

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did the swap today. I got a '96 master and slave from pull-a-part for $6.50. It was the clutch master that was bad. It had fluid all over it when I took it out. I put the new slave in (actually Neuman did the slave cylinder while I did the master) anyway though just because it looked to be in better shape than mine. Bled all the air out and now it's good as new.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I'm going out now to check if there's any fluid anywhere. I'm hoping that it's just air, because I really can't afford the master at the moment. I'm broke and behind bills. But even if it is, I wouldn't know how to replace it. How fast can they go bad? And why do they go bad? It hasn't even been 6 months since my uncle changed both my slave and master cylinders. And wouldn't the master also cause a problem with the brakes since they share the same reservoir? Oh and it's full. It still looks like when it was topped off last time when they changed the slave and master cylinders... but... the clutch was changed afterwards.... I'm not sure if they bled it then...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts