FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 EGT and I have little to no heat. The temp gauge usually runs about 1/2 way it sometimes goes about 3/4 way but quickly goes back to half. It takes about a mile or so of city driving to warm up. When I turn the heat on I get luke warm heat. It is about 70 degrees I'm estimating... It doesn't matter if it is through the pannel, floor, or defrost its all just luke warm. Any ideas on how to get more heat to come out???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like your coolant level is to low. You should have the radiator full to the top and then have a partially filled overflow tank. If that doesn't fix it, start your car and get it warmed up, then feel your heater hoses. They should both be hot, and if one isn't (it usualy would be your return line) you have a restriction or clog in your heater core.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry its taken so long to reply... got very busy. Had to replace the rear brakes on my GT. Don't recomend it!
I looked for the heater hoses but I'm not sure where they are... I looked on the passenger side but didn't see any heater hoses. Where do I look/feel for the heater hoses?

·
Registered
287 Posts
They're on the passenger side firewall, basically right below the fuel filter. Kinda hard to access with the power steering pump and intake manifold in the way, but they are accessible. If you have AC, it might even be harder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something you can do is what i just did about a week ago try back flushing your heater core if you don't know how to do this. you find the return hose that goes from the core to the motor, pull both hoses off and jet or squirt water back into the core the opposite direction it would normally flow. then go the other direction with and back and forth to knock whatever is in there loose and eventually out it. some times things like rust or calcium can build up in there if you have ever runn watter in your system and it just has to be flushed out.

hope this works

·
Registered
411 Posts
spidermac said:
Something you can do is what i just did about a week ago try back flushing your heater core if you don't know how to do this. you find the return hose that goes from the core to the motor, pull both hoses off and jet or squirt water back into the core the opposite direction it would normally flow. then go the other direction with and back and forth to knock whatever is in there loose and eventually out it. some times things like rust or calcium can build up in there if you have ever runn watter in your system and it just has to be flushed out.

hope this works
I agree with spider on this. I've had two different cars have plugged heater cores. Back flushed both the 1974 and 1984 Mustangs and you won't believe how much crap came out of them. The back flush fixed both. I am also a believer in having an infared temp gun. This lets you know what the temps are all over your engine. They are cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96451

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.