FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Sorry to clutter again, but I wanted to know which headlights I could buy that wouldn't look 'yellow-ish' like standard halogen bulbs tend to after a period of time. What brand/ model would you recommend? I want a pure white and I shall shun all who suggest HID's because I don't want to go that route.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
many people have stuck the stock bmw e36 headlights on the 2nd gens. i too plan to do this but i want to use the projectors with halogen bulbs instead of projectors with HID's. it can be done.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No... you misunderstood. What 9004 Bulb has the whitest light? I don't want new housings, just a brighter whiter (or bluer) light

· Registered
6,096 Posts
OOOOOOOH ok. i'm pretty sure silverstars r the ones to get.

i'm using the cheaply made blue bulbs from harbor freight tools and yes they suck but i needed headlight bulbs and these were $5 each. the high beams r ok but i always have them on and don't get flashed for it. they actually look more white than blue to me.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant like what specific model number bulb should I get? Harbor freight sells lightbulbs?? Well hell, I suppose they sell everything else....

· Registered
6,096 Posts
someone will chime in on this cuz i don't know. i tried. lol.

· Registered
411 Posts
Google "Sylvania Silverstar". Or contact your local parts dude.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, my lenses are fine, a little hazy, but not yellow. I had the 60$ Silverstars in my thunderbird, and it was white white, but I wanna try something different since my bulbs in the fogs are yellow bulbs. Anyone know where I can get a rally bumper guard with a light cluster?

· Registered
2,719 Posts
The_Death_Scort said:
No, my lenses are fine, a little hazy, but not yellow. I had the 60$ Silverstars in my thunderbird, and it was white white, but I wanna try something different since my bulbs in the fogs are yellow bulbs. Anyone know where I can get a rally bumper guard with a light cluster?
The internet. you won't find anything that "bolts on". Even a housing that is "a little hazy" greatly reduces light output. THIS, is what you need. They sell replacement housings on ebay for dirt cheap.

And what do you mean by "different"? If you mean bluish, please don't. Blue light fatigues the eye a LOT. And blue does not cut through adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, fog, etc. I have ran with blue headlights before, and at night, with the ground wet, it doesn't even look like the headlights are on, except for the light reflective road signs.

Yellow or yellow esque lights, or close to the sun, which is about 5500k on the color temp scale are the best. Any light that has a blue tinting on the bulb, stay far away from them.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So a good 5500K Yellow-ish bulb is what I need for maximum visibility? That's the answer I was looking for. Does silvania make yellow bulbs?

· Registered
2,719 Posts
The sylvania silverstar ultras are amazing. it is constantly raining where i live, and have driven through a snow storm, and no complaints.

Look for a set on ebay, like i said early, got mine for 18$ shipped.

Also, piaa makes very high quality bulbs.

· Registered
5,229 Posts
What brand are your headlights Silverton? I got my housings today, the pair $52 to the door, the local PnP wanted $30 a piece for used ones and tax. I was shipped two different brands and the diffusion was different. If I wasn't going to cut and paint them, I would have been pissed!

· BYO Plastic cutlery
9,870 Posts
If you ever saw a non halogen you would not consider halogens yellow. Non halogen bulbs, if you can even still get them, or if they ever even made them in other than sealed beams, are a lot yellower than even plain halogens. They make halogens look nice and white. There's nothing wrong with the colour of regular halogens. It's the right colour for illuminating your way without adding blues that make it appear like a cooler white but also trick the eye and make you miss stuff.

· Registered
2,719 Posts
LOWETGT said:
What brand are your headlights Silverton? I got my housings today, the pair $52 to the door, the local PnP wanted $30 a piece for used ones and tax. I was shipped two different brands and the diffusion was different. If I wasn't going to cut and paint them, I would have been pissed!
i dunno, they came on the car.

on my old LX, i bought a set on ebay, and they were 'eagle eye' brand

· Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks, I got one Eagle Eye and one Depo. The Depo seemed to be closer to O.E., it had the metal cup/diffuser, the Eagle Eye did not. The diffusion and the lettering on lenses were also different. I had to sand off letting on the Eagle Eye lens. Both look great new, but having a chance to compare the two, I would rec. the Depo housings. They have a clearer diffusion and came much better packaged, besides seeming like a more quality piece.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MadBrad said:
If you ever saw a non halogen you would not consider halogens yellow. Non halogen bulbs, if you can even still get them, or if they ever even made them in other than sealed beams, are a lot yellower than even plain halogens. They make halogens look nice and white. There's nothing wrong with the colour of regular halogens. It's the right colour for illuminating your way without adding blues that make it appear like a cooler white but also trick the eye and make you miss stuff.
I wanted red bulbs or something of the like since my color scheme is red white and black..

· Registered
6,096 Posts
dennis, thos headlights look NOICE! i guess buyin a new set does look way better than tryin to clean up the OE's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.