FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a rain fall I noticed that I had water dripping inside my car from a pillar. I believe its cause from either a rust spot on the drip rail above the driver side, or it came in from the windshield because under the top corner of the drivers side trim you can see a gap between the trim and body whereas on the other side there is a piece of black material that seems to plug up that small gap.
I was to fix this problem before winter comes so responses are appreciated.
:)

·
Registered
524 Posts
First, that paint is be-yew-teefull. Is that factory? Anyway, the rusted-through drip rails are a big problem. If it's contained in that one spot, then it's not too bad. Mine at first seemed to be just two or three areas, but it turned out to be an awful job once I started grinding away. I ended up grinding the metal down, removing as much rust as possible, patching with a fiberglass kit, and filling with bondo. It's an ugly job. See my thread on it here:

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... =headliner

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
It's a safe bet that's one spot that's leaking. Check under the hood, right by the firewall (behind the windshield washer fluid container) and if the filler is lifted up that may be a spot. I've also noticed the top right part of the windshield on these cars may be prone to leaking (have seen several do it in the exact same spot).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The rusty spot on the roof would do it. The seam sealer in the gutter cracked and split at some point. Being that there's no paint under the seam sealer, that area is now prone for the rusting as water seeps in, causing your water leak. I wouldn't have worried about the gap in the trim piece. If the windshield leaked, it has to do with the urethane used to install the windshield.

I wonder where Noall got the idea to look behind the washer bottle? :chin:
Anyway, I did find a leak there. Some else here was chasing a water leak for awile. And that was the spot for them too.

Now changing subject abit. I'm looking at the posted pictures thinking " self, that paint looks damn good for an 87 Scort". So now I'm anxious for details about this particular vehicle you have in your possession. Details please!

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Well, I have three leaks in my car. The first is the firewall behind the washer tank, second is the top right windshield, and third is the rain gutter at the back...leaks down near my hatch mounts.

Yup, that smiley looks like you, Marsh.

You call yourself "Self" too, eh?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys! And yes the paint is factory. I got the car about 3 months ago from a old lady who own it… got it just under 63,000km! the car is amazing for what it is! Im just a little worried about driving it in the winter. i dont want to be sliding around since the tries are so thin.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Don't worry about driving these cars in snow. They're like mini-tanks. And I think the thinner tires are better for the snow, less floatation(surface area). Just have good tires though!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought some duplicolor mineral gray touch up paint today. the Real code is 58D and is just know as grey but they don't have 87 colours although it should match quite nicely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.