FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done all the prep work to drop the tranny (crossmember out, axles out, clutch line disconnected from slave, wire harnesses apart, fan out, etc) and now need to start on the actual engine/tranny bolts. Two main questions
1) I've read the excellent sticky above on this and am unsure if I need to remove the cat converter. I see that there is a bolt facing the cat but is it possible to remove with cat in place? Haynes is silent on the matter. I'm leary of snapping bolts on the rusted cat. (That said, this car is for dedicated track use so pulling the cat permanently is appealing - I assume the feared penalties relate to road use only - right? any how to's on this?)
2) I'm unclear on whether i need to remove the engine/tranny mount brackets entirely. The front and rear ones are hanging loose from the tranny now that the crossmember is out - the front one seems easy to take off entirely if that helps but the back one looks like bolt access is an issue. Top bracket would seem to be harmless to leave in place if disconnected from the tranny - what am i missing?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is from my exp. w/a '95 LX 5-speed removal. The bolt trapped by the cat can be backed out

enough w/o moving the cat. Technically, I think you could leave the mount brackets, but watch the

AC line (if equipped) at the bottom of the radiator. Removing the mounts makes reinstallation

easier, but maybe unnecessary if you have the tools/muscle. Just remember that the rear mount

bolts run left to right, and won't clear if you try to replace the rear mount back on the trans

after the unit is mated to the engine. The top one? not removing it makes it more difficult to

mate the trans to the engine, but I suppose it's possible...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info - that's good news on the cat. I am underpowered (solo) and undertooled (no tranny jack) so will take off the front and top mounts. I don't understand your comment on the rear mount though - do you mean I need to leave it attached to the tranny? (its hanging loose from the tranny now as I've already pulled the crossmember), It looks like there is very little wiggle room between the rear mount and the surrounding parts but also seems like accessing the bolts to remove it could be tough. The front and top should be easy. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.