FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was just thinking about this and talking to my friend about our cars, he has an 80's Camaro, and he asked me if the HP was at flywheel or at front wheels. I told him, "...to be honest, I don't know which one it is, I just know that its at 127 stock..." SO, this is where the dumb question comes in, which one is it? Front Wheels or Flywheel? or is it something else all together?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
The GT BPd8 makes 127 hp and 114 ft lbs of torque at the flywheel. Each car will probably dyno different numbers at the wheels due to differences in how the gear boxes were treated, how well the axles are holding up, how much the clutch might be slipping, how much power the engine is really creating (due to age and wear and tear over the years), etc.

Just know that the 1.8L BPD8 was rated at 127 hp and 114 ft lbs torque at the flywheel.

Assuming a standard 15% drivetrain loss the GT is supposed to make 107.85 hp and 96.9 ft lbs torque at the wheels.

Compare that to my Si (160 hp and 111 ft lbs at the flywheel) & I should be making 136 hp and 94.35 ft lbs at the wheels. Although I've seen completely stock 99-00 Si's dyno 145 hp to the wheels, (a mere 9.375% loss) so that 15% loss can differentiate for different makes and models.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His Camaro is one of his new project cars, and it was recently dynoed and showed 142.6 HP at the wheels, didn't catch the Torque on the dyno sheet though. But not bad considering the car is actually not in the best condition mechanically. but it should be getting fixed up nicely, especially since he works for NAPA. and he has a second Camaro, a Berlinaetta that he is possibly going to make into his drag car. He is trying to get into the NHRA right now for Pro Stock andthe number he wants has a record from the previos guy who had it of consistent 10.15 passes, unless my memory serves me wrong. so keep an eye out for a Berlinetta that is going to try and keep up the times. I'll let y'all know how his Drag racing endeavor progresses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts