FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to take some pictures of the restrictors I ripped off my car to show everyone where they are and whatnot this morning, well i warmed up my car and after it got up to temp it started clicking bad, which means it has no oil. So i shut the car off and put 3 quarts of oil in it, turn it on and let it idle for about 5 minutes and it never quit. i had no choice but to drive to work with it. I kept it under 2k rpm as much as I can, luckily I live less than a mile from where I work (during the day). So I know what's wrong with it, and I couldn't get it to stop ticking. I took off the wires off the distributor, every cylinder is getting spark so it's not that it's missing spark.

Could my oil pump be dead? Or could my oil 'holes' (in the block) be gunked up or whatnot? I don't understand how I can go 4 months without it using a drop of oil and then all of a sudden, and I'm talking about within 1 day...it's pretty much empty.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
James said:
So i shut the car off and put 3 quarts of oil in it,[...]
8O 8O 8O

James said:
Could my oil pump be dead?
If you weren't getting enough oil pressure, your light should come on and stay on. Does it light up momentarily when you first start the car?

I don't know if the egt has hydraulic lash adjusters within the valve buckets.. but with my old departed subaru, it could sometimes take a day and a half (of my normally short commute) for the ticking to subside.

With a 3 quart loss, it's possible that the buckets or the cam were worn to the point of needing replacement or shimming. Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of the BP motor to be much help :x

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
boy... I'd be real concerned about where the oil went. I had this exact same problem before and it sucked big time. It was on my mom's saturn. Turns out it was on a slight decline... I mean slight. a dagree or two at the most. So I way overfilled the damn thing. It didn't do any major damage but it sure sucked to have the shop call and say... your valves are fine but you sure have a lot of oil in it.... :)

so anyway... BE SURE ITS LEVEL!!! I may butcher this but I know if its a BP its fairly normal to tick especially after high RPM driving. I wouldn't get too excited about it but I would keep looking for a cause. I know the oil passages are very small. It is possible they got gunked up. But again where did all this oil go that fast. 3 QTs on an engine that holds just over that would be horrid on the engine. I'm wondering if there isn't some other explination... or if you overfilled it like I did?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If that's the case.. drain some of that oil.. ASAP.

Too much oil means that the crank could actually come in contact with the oil during high revs.. and possibly cause damage. In either case.. don't rev her too much until the ticking stops (or is fixed) and you're sure the oil level is okay.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the same thing I thought Beaver...it just suddenly dissappears. At first my problem was the oil drain plug wasn't tight, then i found the valve cover wasn't tightened down right, after i fixed that everything seemed to be fine until one morning it was clicking. that was like 4 months ago or so. so I filled it up and it was fine, until this morning. I was down posting this originally listening to it...it sounds sick and I have to go to work on the other side of town tonight right after i get off work. it's gonna be hard to not rev it past 3k. although id idn't check it i'm sure it was almost completely empty. 3 quarts is a lot for one dump. it's not leaking or anything, but i did notice it was burning slightly when my starter died.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, the oil light did its normal blink and went off at startup. never came back on after that. even when there's no oil and i drove it for 2 days without realizing it the oil light would only come on when i clutched and put on the brakes...and then it was a really fast flicker and then nothing. Now I know what to look for.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hmm. That is odd. You may try running a bottle of Lucas or some other oil additive (smoke-b-gone is a favorite) to see if that shuts it up. Sometimes higher mileage engines need a little bit thicker oil to keep 'em quite. Probably the best thing to do would be to use some of that motor flush stuff, then do a fresh oil change. If it still ticks after that, add some stp oil treatment. If that doesn't work then we look further. If it does work, then you know to use a can of stp when you change the oil.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well after i put the oil in it and drove it to work and let it sit all day, it's fine. but the thing is I haven't had a regular oil change in I don't know how long. There's a small hole in my exhaust right now which makes it hard to hear.

It likes to sputter when it's cold, like the cam isn't opening the valve or something and the engine is starving, but then it just stops and i can drive it all day with no problem. Thats been goin on a while but I didn't think much of it untill someone said something about the possibility of the cam being worn down to much to provide sufficient lift.

I gotta go to work now but tomorrow I'll throw in some STP oil treatment or something and take a closer look at it. I might pull the valve cover to see if the cams look ok or not.

·
Registered
911 Posts
james, i have a similar problem....i lose 2 qts every 1000 miles. I just hope it isnt in the block thats causing it because i'm almost ready to swap my other head on. *hoping its just the valve seats or the valve seals* I just add oil at the first sign of ticking and it goes away. Yeh, when my car is bone dry on oil, the ticking doesnt stop until i drive it and then let it sit. I use engine flush every time i change oil because it burns so much and i dont want it to gunk up. you might have to start doing the same thing to prevent problesm

You know james, i love the exhaust leak in my car. Its at the flex pipe so all the sound comes from the engine bay and it sounds not too shabby. Its noticable at about 3000 + rpm and it doesnt fart or back fire. Lol, i get alot of ppl asking me, what the HELL is under that hood, i just smile and keep goin. I plan on gettin new exhaust soon because i hate the fake attention i get w/ it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey James, sorry I didn't get to this sooner but i have had a really long day. I've been on Vacation in TX the past week, and I woke up at 3 this morning to fly to MD for my cousins graduation. Since it has been such a long day I'm just going to say that i think it might be the lifters sticking that is causing your ticking, but I am going to have to read you post over a couple times when I'm awake to try to make a reasonable diagnosis to the entire oil problem you are talking about. I will try to get back on here sometime tomorrow, but I'm not to sure what the plans are since there is so much family out here that I haven't seen in years.

·
Registered
709 Posts
James, does it smoke right after startup for a little bit? If so, pull the spark plugs and see if they are covered in ash. After your last message to me it is starting to sound like valve stem seals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts