FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok bought a real desent 96 wagon. i was told it needed a head gasket. so we tear head off and guess what??????? the valve seats were intact.......i was like cool wont have to tear my other car apart for parts.....well i start scraping the grease and oil off the head and found a crack. scrapped some more found another crack......so we took my head off the 91 swapped everything over......it wouldnt start unless took all the plugs out turned it over and then it would fire but the idle was way high. we had to do this 3 times now we hit key it will purr like a kitten.....the only problemm in my eyes is it dont have a tach. i read on here the tach wire is coming out of computer can anyone confirm that and a pic would really help. i am hopoing i can get 30 mpg out of this.......any the other problem is around all the windows the trim it was flaking the black off it. well guess what they used. black duct tape. so i peeled that off and now i have all the sticky residue off it.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
i know from experience from owning a 96 lx the tach signal wire IIRC is a yellow wire
BUT please dont hold me to it it's been a while since i owned a lx

· Registered
6,057 Posts
when u swapped the 91 head, did u also swap the intake manifold and throttle body?

· Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Since the 96 is a OBD2, it will have a different TPS, the IAC valve plug might be different, and it will have EGR while the 91 may or may not have EGR.
Since your should be using the 96 computer and harness, make sure you use the 96 throttle body, IAT valve and intake manifold if the 91 did'nt have EGR.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was asking about bundle of wires off the computer do i tap into one of them for a tach????

we swapped everything off the 91 head and put everything off the 96 old head on the 91 head. that way wew wouldnt have any problems with stuff hooking back up.

why is the 96 have all the sensors say 97 and up have?

· Registered
6,057 Posts
cuz 96 is OBDII same with the 3rd gens

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.