FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I personally don't own one but testing when they were new they ran 16.9s in the 1/4 and 8.9s out to 60. Being old they probably don't run so good, but with some simple mods and a fresh tune up i bet you could run with the 2G GTs, or even better. (like high 15s if you really had the $$ and time) :wink:

·
Registered
874 Posts
89 GT's RULE!!!!!!! Welcome to the club bro. Don't listen to these 2nd gen drivers. FIRST GEN ARE THE BEST!! Anyway mine ran high 17's when I took mine to the trac, but have since then added a custom made cold air induction, and better exhaust. I know I lost a lot of time from the sespention being as "squaty" as it is since it is 14 years old. As far as handling though, I like it, but know your limits. I slid through a 90 degree sweeping turn at like 45-50 once, and lost traction the whole way trough. Wasn't really sidways so I wouldn't call it drifting, but about as close as a scort can get to drifting without pulling the e-brake. Had decent enough control at the exit of the turn to avoid slamming into the big rig parked on the side of the road. It handles great off road to incase you were wondering. I used to tear up the desert with it whan I first got it too. Great fun.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Man you guys are making me want to resurrect my 87 scort so bad. That thing was so much fun to drive. I miss flying down the back roads at a whopping 70MPH; hey it was only 15MPH from burying the needle. That thing could corner so well even on really old suspension parts and crappy tires. It was always so predictable, if fact I only lost control of it once and that was because I overlooked a small patch of gravel. Even then it was a snap to get back under control. Most other cars would have just slid into the concrete wall at the edge of the highway off ramp. Here's an idea, someone send me about 500 dollars and I will resurrect the car. Heck I'll even put on a vinyl window sticker on the back giving you credit for the entire project. That way the whole world (Ok, all of Bradford County) could see what a great person you are! It would say something like: This Car Made Possible By ______. Whadya think?...

(Begins dodging tomatoes and trash)

Oh well, it was a thought. Anyway good luck with your new car, I hope it runs better that mine ever has.

P.S. If anyone was wondering why I hadn't posted in awhile it was because I was on vacation in Georgia. Also, I've been working a lot lately.

·
Registered
874 Posts
From what I have read the LX has a cat right after the manifold, and a pipe from the cat to a flange that meets up with the rest of the system. From what I understand after that flange the exhaust is the same as the GT. If you want to do some "leg work" for me and double check to make sure that is true, that would be great. And then Matt and I will toss around the idea and the numbers and come up with a cost for you. We still have to finish this 2nd gen GT system though (which will hopefully be soon).

·
Registered
138 Posts
the only difference between the lx and gt exhaust is the header and the location of the cat. The LX has the cat attached to the exhaust manifold then a short pipe running from the cat to a "test" pipe which is mounted in the exact same location under the car as the GT's cat. back when I bought my 90 gt new the first mod I made to it was to replace the GT cat with the "test" pipe from the LX. I got the idea from a friend of mine that worked as a mechanic for a local Ford dealership

1 - 9 of 9 Posts