FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
More displacement is allway's good, but there's not that much of a difference there. The SPI bottom is balanced better then the 1.9, you would think that would make the 2.0 more rev happy, but that's not allways the case. In stock N/A form, the SPI bottom is the way to go, makes more power with a huge power band (2.0 rev's better stock then the 1.9 stock)

With boost it all depends on what your hp goal is, budget and how you want it to drive. If you want instant power go with the SPI bottom, but you'll have to keep the boost low, around 7psi or less to not get knock with stock timing. With some good engine managment (money and wiring) you can pull some timing and run more boost.
Now with the low compresstion 1.9 block with SPI head your not limited by the stock ignition timing, low compresstion can take aggressive timing. Yes you loose power going to low C/R, but running more boost with the high timing makes up for that and some.

·
Administrator
9,286 Posts
i think that if fish didnt swim in the sea i dont konw what i would do...

i noticed an instant difference between the 1.9 and spi bottom ends. my car doesnt shake as much at 5krpm as it did with the 1.9. the schere amount of TQ gain you get with the bigger spi crank you get is well worth it.

jd.. i can go up newberry hill in 5th gear... now you tell me.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I like the low compression combo personally but I'm going to use the SPI bottom when I do everything. At least to start with.

*thinks to self* Maybe I should just get a spare motor to build. :twisted:

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
i like my 1 point niner. ya'll can shut up.

ive done my fair share of SPI swaps (3 to date), and i love the 2.0 SPI, awesome engine.. but for whatever reason.. i choose to keep the 1.9 and go with it.. even though it is less refined.

anyways, im proud to have a 1.9 with an estimated 140hp... it means alot to me to have a car that i am comfortable with and know so well be powered by a geniune Ford engine with such history as the 1.9L CVH.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I like the SPI bottom end..It is so much more smoother at the high RPM's coimpared to the CVH it felt like it was going to explode past 5000RPM..But i guess if you want to boost it thne teh CVH block with SPI head would be the way to go if you give it lots of boost. Then your gunna have an interferance engine.

John

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well the one thing the SPI bottom end has against it is the rotating mass. It's got a good deal more to it with the extra counter weights so it may be more vulnerable with the high stresses on it during the acceleration of the motor during boost. It may on the other hand help it but until someone boosts the crap out of a 2.0SPI or 1.9SPI for a while we won't know for certian.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts