FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys have been on here since the beginning, but please don't play "bash the noob" if you've heard this post before. I try to read back on as many forums as possible, but my only access to a PC is at work. Let alone the fact that the boss kinda frowns down on that whole not working thing.

Well guys here's the situation. Not too long ago, I posted that I had found an 1.9 5spd LX for about $300. Of course I wanted it for the tranny, which would not work for my 1.8 GT. I'm at a complete stand still right now, no funds, and really don't know what to do. It's getting harder and more expensive to get the 1.8 going!

The LX apparently has a bad motor and a good tranny. I can see under the car where oil has been leaking. It's a good size puddle, but the car has been sitting for a while. What do you guyz think it is and how much would a rebuild run? I'm going to call some of the mechanic shops around town and get some prices. I was just hoping someone who has done a 1.9 rebuild could help. Thanks ahead of time!!!

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
As long as the 1.9 is coming out, might as well put a 97 2.0 SPI in, all you have to swap is the motor.
The SPI makes about 25% more power.
I got mine from a j/y with 40,000 mi for 300 bucks, and a week end to swap.
My car (with other mods) can run at least a 16.3 in the 1/4.
There is a "How to" around here some were.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are the chances of that 2.0 SPI engine and tranny being swapped into a 95 EGT 1.8??

Would there need to be any re-fabricating?? I think I could handle a few mods.

My 1.8 has over 200,000 miles on it and the tranny is gone. I know you can get a GTX or GTR, but that's just not an option. Please help!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well I'd want to know more about what is wrong with both cars before I make a big suggestion.

What is wrong with the GT? I'd imagine it would be cheaper than rebuilding the LX even if you do most of the work.

second choice would be rebuild the LX. are you sure it needs to be rebuilt? what is wrong with it other than leaking oil.

I would not do any swaps unless you had a replacement engine that you knew ran perfect for darn near free.

no way would I put a zetec in a 2gen GT. In the LX yes. but the GT would be way to much work.

This is for a really tight budget anyway. If you have the money I will have a GTX engine available soon in my used parts section.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many bones will the GTX be running for? I'm sure I can't afford it, but I'm curious. What do you think shipping would be on something that big?

As for the GT, the tranny is gone. I'd like to convert it over to manual shift since I'd be pulling the thing out any way. Most wrecking yards around here swear they don't carry any 1.8 trannies, BUT THEY CAN GET ME ONE.....of course the prices are outrageous for the mileage on these things. I haven't found one w/less than 75,000 miles on them. I'm to the point to where automatic isn't that bad for the right price and mileage.

I'm really not to sure about the LX, the guy selling it said the motor is shot. So after I looked at all the oil that oozed out of that thing, I just took his word for it.....of course that still doesn't mean anything. Although, he did say the tranny is still good. I forgot to mention the LX has a 1.9.(no use to me)

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
phatkid95 said:
What are the chances of that 2.0 SPI engine and tranny being swapped into a 95 EGT 1.8??

Would there need to be any re-fabricating?? I think I could handle a few mods.

My 1.8 has over 200,000 miles on it and the tranny is gone. I know you can get a GTX or GTR, but that's just not an option. Please help!!
The 1.8 is a better motor than the 2.0 SPI.
Get a fresh 1.8 junk yard motor, should be around $300 and tranny about $225

1 - 10 of 10 Posts