FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 6 gig harddrive in my 450 mhz computer sittin here doing absolutely nothing, I was wondering if it was possible to use it as an FTP server and use it to host pics on the internet??? I'd like to not have to worry about paying for it or having to hyperlink everywhere. Is there a way that this is possible? :?

siragan? beav? anyone know?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
i'm gunna take a leap and assume you can. the only way i can see you doing it with your own comp, however, is going by the IP address, connecting through to the comp that way. thre may be some security setup with the comp that would limit random public access through the IP to the hard drive, but i really don't know. that's just how i think it's setup. it would have to made into a dedicated connection/server of some sort. let us know if u find anything else out, i have an old comp i really don't use much either :)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You see why I want to do this now? The cardomain server is down. If I had complete control over everything it'd be 100 times easier for me...and probably for everyone that wants to hack into my computer... :eek:

·
Registered
735 Posts
there are tons of little standalone windows ftp server programs out there, just gotta take a quick search on google. the program setup shouldn't be difficult, but people getting to it might. (i don't know how technically savvy you are, so excuse me if i seem like i'm talking to a little kid :p) if you have what's called a dynamic ip address, that is, an ip address that changes every time you connect to the internet, then simply posting your ip isn't the best thing, since if you post it in a topic here, then disconnect and reconnect, people won't be able to get to your comp. if you have a static ip, one that doesn't change, then you're just fine and shouldn't have to worry about anything except that if your ISP will let you host stuff on the ftp port (though you can change the default ftp port as well).

there are some sites out there that will do dynamic virtual hosting out there, which basically is that you give them some information and they will give you yourname.theirdomain.com host name, and track the changes of your ip address. i believe a site called www.no-ip.com does this, and i haven't heard any complaints about them.

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m0nk said:
there are tons of little standalone windows ftp server programs out there, just gotta take a quick search on google. the program setup shouldn't be difficult, but people getting to it might. (i don't know how technically savvy you are, so excuse me if i seem like i'm talking to a little kid :p) if you have what's called a dynamic ip address, that is, an ip address that changes every time you connect to the internet, then simply posting your ip isn't the best thing, since if you post it in a topic here, then disconnect and reconnect, people won't be able to get to your comp. if you have a static ip, one that doesn't change, then you're just fine and shouldn't have to worry about anything except that if your ISP will let you host stuff on the ftp port (though you can change the default ftp port as well).

there are some sites out there that will do dynamic virtual hosting out there, which basically is that you give them some information and they will give you yourname.theirdomain.com host name, and track the changes of your ip address. i believe a site called www.no-ip.com does this, and i haven't heard any complaints about them.

hope that helps :)
Damn i forgot about this post...
anyway, my IP is static, I'm on Cable mdoem. I have no clue if my ISP has any FTP ports but I can always call em and find out. I know they allow me to build my own webpage off their server, but I have no clue how. would I be able to use that as an FTP site you suppose? :?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Heh, I was just looking through some old posts and found this one again :)

A static IP is a good thing, check out google and get an ftp program, set it up, and then see if someone can get to your server. If they can, you're good to go :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts