FEOA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a 1992 LX with 160K. I just rebuilt the top end to fix a gasket problem. I was in the middle of converting it to a 4cyl bomber for a local dirt track. Long story short my partner quit and I have a car with no interior.

That is not a big deal, just some back story on where I am coming from. My big question is...Now that cars need to be more efficient; is it worth restoring this car? I am at a good point in the rebuild as the inside is naked.

I used to be a mechanic (Dodge) and know how to swing wrenches. There is minimal rust damage to the unibody, the pans are great. Glass clear as day, no faded plastic.

What would you do?

Thanks and happy motoring.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
depending on what you want to do with it, you are at a great point.

if you want a good reliable daily driver, put some nice stock interior bits back in.

if you want a backup beater in case your main car is down, throw in a driver seat and carpet and it'll be a handy utilitarian vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone knows what I need to watch out for then I will most likely rebuild it to premium running and appearance condition. We could use a second car soon so I sit on the fence about buying something ready to go. Or spend the enjoyable time and loads of $$ fixing a car soon to be 20 yrs old. Are there many aftermarket kits for this 2nd gen? Can I go all Fast and Furious on it? (within reason that is).

If anyone knows of aftermarket catalogs or web sites for parts please let me know...Thanks much!

Oh, BTW I forgot to mention...I have all the interior bits stored. So Basically I have a huge model that needs assembly and a few bits here and there. Now that I think about it the tires have less than 200 miles on them also.

·
Registered
820 Posts
only worth to restore if you want it for yourself'If your looking to resell,junk it

I just "restored" mine.Never got it to run right with turbo.Sat for 4 years in the corner with an ocasional drive arond the block just to keep it loose.Strted 3 weeks ago to bring it back to stock.Many headaches but for me it was worth it.Will i get back all the money spent if i decide to sell it?not in a million years.But I still did it cause i love this POS

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,867 Posts
When is it ever worth it to restore? If you want to, do it. Nobody ever does it because it's worth it. Enjoyment is a valid a reason as any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts