FEOA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I'd say so... My 1 Farad as $129 (Canadian) with the LED (I think it was Viper). Definetly worth every cent in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
That'll be more than enough. The 1 Farad will do 1000 RMS (I believe...) I've got 400RMS (1200 Watts) on my 1 farad, and it doesn't even seem to bother it. I'll notice the LED drop to maybe 9 when I got my deck at 25.... I'm limited by my stock speakers right now :cry:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Big waste of money.....

Think of a cap as a mix of rum and coke, and your battery as rum, and alternator as coke.

Once you want to drink of the cap, you need to wait for the alt and battery to get the mixture back correctly ( voltage back up ) and then to refill the capacitor also.

They are a cheap excuse to look good, and hide the real problem....our crappy 65 amp alts :roll:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I had about 1200W going between subs and speakers all around...with a 1 farad. If you only have 100W to the subs I really don't think it's needed. But, it's cheap and if you upgrade your system anytime it will be of more use.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I agree - I like my LED display. If I'm not sure what the battery voltage is, just look in the hatch.

onelatin8ball - I like the system man - Kicker rocks!

and

and

·
Registered
511 Posts
Way2slo said:
Big waste of money.....

Think of a cap as a mix of rum and coke, and your battery as rum, and alternator as coke.

Once you want to drink of the cap, you need to wait for the alt and battery to get the mixture back correctly ( voltage back up ) and then to refill the capacitor also.

They are a cheap excuse to look good, and hide the real problem....our crappy 65 amp alts :roll:
You're kidding right? A capacitor is a storage device that is in parallel with your battery/amp. If you hook it up in series (which is absolutely incorrect) then his skewed analogy may hold up.

When bass frequencies kick in they are cycling the speakers at a very low frequency in turn drawing a large amount of current from your system.

When this happens if you have a capacitor it will discharge when the voltage starts to drop below the battery voltage (due to load on the system (hard bass etc.). This is critical in making sure that the amp is driving the transistors (amplifing the bass) in the linear reigon (of the transistors beta curve). If voltage drops too low your amp will either cut out or gain will be dramatically reduced.

The capacitor will charge back up when your system isn't hitting a low note (drawing max current).

Capacitors are one of the most important part of the internals of an amplifier. If you open it up you will see large caps that are there for just that (discharging under load to reduce voltage drop). Don't listen to way2slo on this he doesn't know what he's talking about on this.

In most lower end systems the on board power caps internal to the amp should suffice but when running multiple amps driving 500+ watts a cap can make a huge difference.

Summary $29 is a good deal for anyone driving a serious system over 500 watts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Been there pushing 1000w rms out of my brutus, and a 1 farad cap did d.ick sh.it all.......Its like doing the big 3 to reduce voltage drop....

...Its a waste with a 65A alt which is poor.....youll see.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts