FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at this car on craigslist and have setup a meeting to test drive it. He says it has 97k on it, it's an automatic, and it's black with some dings in the door to quote him "like someone kicked it". According to edmunds it's about right but what are your guys' opinions? What are some things to check on the car tomorrow that are common on zx2s (and are over $200 repairs). Thanks in advance.

PS: why are zx2s all over but i can never find one for sale :( maybe one comes up every two weeks...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ask if the timing belt has been changed. If not, you should be able to get them to go down at least a little. That's a good $200+ in parts.

It's not a bad price, but I wouldn't pay that much for an ATX. At least make sure it hasn't been modded, the ATX doesn't adjust well to mods, especially without a tranny cooler being added. I'd probably just wait for a MTX to pop up if you aren't in a rush. The MTX isn't uber fast, but the ATX is rather slow (I've owned both).

Here is a list of common "problems":

http://www.teamzx2.com/showthread.php?t=130

I can't however say I've had too many of those problems (much less any) since owning a ZX2 back in 2003.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, update:

The car will not shift into the L gear. It shifts all through the gears while driving but not i just cant get the shifter to go down into L. Also, the side power mirrors do not work and it's not the fuse. It looks like the side of the car got into a fight with a bumper. I could live with the cosmetic issues but the transmission not shifting into low worries me. He says its just a linkage that is hung up. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
don't pay $2000 for a Z with body damage, shifter issues, and wiring issues.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i know :( It just sucks i have to pay another year's registration fee on my lynx because i doubt another zx2 will come up on the market soon. Thanks for your guys' opinions. I can't believe i wasted a carfax on it :( Only 1 left on my free trial...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try using crazedlist.org and select all the MI locations. I came up with a bunch of ZX2s under $2500 some even MTX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if u rele want a zx2 then you can by out of state. craigs list has everything. I bought my 99 zx2 for 2200. but its had a new paitjob and new tires, with 113k so don't worry you will find something just be patient. In my opion I would not by something with that many problems unless you wanted the car to be a car you work on.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
still high, but if it's in nice shape and you like it go for it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sold the day after i looked at it, regardless, here is another red zx2 with the power options:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/1427992086.html

What do ya think? He said he would take 1550. The only problem is if you google the guy's phone number he is selling a lot of other cars so i figure he might be a mechanic and just getting rid of his lemons or something. How much would this zx2 get at a junk yard if the transmission exploded or something? For 1,550 it might be worth the risk? It does have 155k on it though. Thanks again everyone. I WILL have a z soon gosh darn it haha

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
the link you posted is a silver Z with 115k miles. I like that one, personally.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pextor said:
the link you posted is a silver Z with 115k miles. I like that one, personally.
Woops my bad. I test drove that one, it was nice. The ebrake didnt work though and it was a fleet vehicle so i passed. Plus i'm not good with a manual. This is the one i meant to post:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/1432035954.html

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
that car has been wrecked, but looks ok in the pictures.

price still seems high to me, considering the mileage.

learn stick, you'll love it!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pextor said:
that car has been wrecked, but looks ok in the pictures.

price still seems high to me, considering the mileage.

learn stick, you'll love it!
How do you know it was wrecked? I really do want to learn stick but it's not practical to learn in my first car and possible burn out the clutch. Every time i shifted the silver one on the test drive it lurched.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
the front bumper cover has fog lights, which is correct for it being a sport. in front of each fog light, there is a bar, which is molded into the non-fog light cover, but open on the correct one for the car. that means the bumper was replaced.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Striker1211 said:
I really do want to learn stick but it's not practical to learn in my first car and possible burn out the clutch. Every time i shifted the silver one on the test drive it lurched.
Everybody does that when they are learning stick. Slipping the clutch is what burns them out, not the lurching. The best way to learn how to drive stick is to just drive one, preferably alone. After about a month you will have it down.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pextor said:
the front bumper cover has fog lights, which is correct for it being a sport. in front of each fog light, there is a bar, which is molded into the non-fog light cover, but open on the correct one for the car. that means the bumper was replaced.
Cant believe i didn't notice that. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
the drivers side outside marker light bulb is out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts