FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I had the lower radiator hose blow, knock off the belt, and then proceed to shred said belt. New hose is on, coolant drained and refilled with new, new belt installed. Thought everything was going to be just fine after that.

Now it’s doing something that it has never done before. It also only happens under certain conditions. It’s also not a steady tempo. No pattern. Just a bump….bump..bumpbump…………….bump. The best way I can describe it is that it’s like an intermittent drop in power that just lasts a split second each time. My thought would be maybe a fouled plug but I really have no idea. Fuel filter is only about 1 year old. It doesn’t happen much when the engine is cold and is much more frequent once the engine is warmed up. When the engine is at idle it doesn’t happen at all. If the engine is at about 2700 rpm and up with doesn’t happen at all. It only happens at rpm’s between 1000 and 2700. There is no noise whatsoever except for the engine sounding “doggy” for lack of a better term. There is also no check engine lights at all. Going to replace the plugs in the next couple of days since it’s easy and cheap in hopes that it’s the problem.

Anyone else experience this before or have more knowledge than me to give some possibilities?

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
sounds like the beginnings of a bad head gasket. have the compression checked - and make sure they (or you) do it with no plugs in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read another thread that sounded much like my problem and they mentioned some of the air componenets. While my MAF sensor looks fine the wires had worn through on my Intake Air Temperature sensor. What problems would that being broken cause? I'm working on the connector right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, at least temporarily either soldering the broken temp wire or replacing the spark plugs seems to have it running in the rights again.

After taking it to work today it seems to be running just fine. I do think the head gasket is going or gone. I get a smell of coolant when I fired it up. But this evidently has it running for now. It's just a beater that I drag to work and back every day so I'm not going to spend a fortune keeping it perfect like I would my truck.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I wonder how much coolant is still dripping down from hidy holes onto hot
parts? And if those wires were broke that was your problem for the most part.
A zx2 for a 'beater'? Mine was my 'Mini Jag'!

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
zx24me said:
A zx2 for a 'beater'? Mine was my 'Mini Jag'!
mines my beater too, and my backup car in case my sedan is down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts