FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some history. I recently did a head swap on the 94 due to a crack in the exhaust port. I purchased a 91 parts car that had a low mileage rebuilt head on it. The engine seemed to run good when I bought the car but I never drove it due to the transmission being toast (automatic). I decided to swap heads instead of the whole engine as the parts car short block leaked oil and had ~30K more on it then my motor. The head has about 35K on the rebuild. Anyway, I used my manifolds but the other car's cams, injectors, as they were recently cleaned, and the other cars distributor and spark plug wires. I also installed new plugs but everything else was off my car.

I have driven the car roughly 80 miles this week and for the most part it runs fine. The engine light is not on however, there is this wierd hesitation / missing spells that it goes thru. It usually occurs when I bog the engine in second gear. You feel the car hesitate as it is accellerating and then 5 seconds later it goes away and the car takes off. THis happens once or twice a day. It has also happened once when I started the car. The car started, idled real rough and died. I started it again and it barely caught but was still running rough. I got out of the car to check for smoke and there was none. After about 20 seconds, the roughness went away and it idled fine.

I am stumped here..... I have not noticed any smoke when the car has these spells so I assume the fuel system is ok. I am thinking it could be ignition related. What do you guys think?

I plan on checking the cap for moisture as I have had a similar problem like this before. If it looks fine I may swap distributors to see if the problem goes away.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,143 Posts
imo you wasted time swapping the head. do the full motor. its easier and just about the same amoutn of time. to late for that now.

check all your vac lines and electrical plugs. then check back with us. it could be as simple as the VAM plug is loose that was an issue for me once.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
yea, i'd check for loose electrical connections. 1st and 2nd gear are when the engine usually gets thrashed around the most and could wiggle something loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 91 gt (Caymen) for $200 that I was going to use as a parts car, but it runs so sweet I drive it daily now, it has the hesitation you talked about, but comes and goes frequently, high rpm seems to make it stop. I will check on the wiring and vacuum tubing, then I'm going to do new wires plugs cap and rotor.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
mtndude said:
I bought a 91 gt (Caymen) for $200 that I was going to use as a parts car, but it runs so sweet I drive it daily now, it has the hesitation you talked about, but comes and goes frequently, high rpm seems to make it stop. I will check on the wiring and vacuum tubing, then I'm going to do new wires plugs cap and rotor.
My recetly acquired EGT also did this,k the intake tubing had a split in it where it accordians. I just covered the slit with some gasket maker, all better now, but I will be replacing it with an intake pipe soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hesitation Problem (93 GT) DOHC 1.8

I'm having a problem with hesitation sometimes, especially after warm-up. I've had the fuel filter changed, and have also had fuel additive and fuel injector cleaning added to my car, (paid 70 for that) but problem still exist. The car actually died on the road last Friday, because the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel filter somehow got detatched later that day after it was changed. I had a mechanic reattach it but the problem still persist. Is it possible I have a vac leak or electrical problem. I don't think it is the fuel pump because when the car had died on the side of the road, every time I tried to crank it I could smell strong fumes from the hose that was disconnected. Car has almost 240K miles on it but it still in semi good/great shape. ALSO after the fuel filter had been changed, the idle speed dropped down to about 800, (750 is the norm for my car) but after the fuel injector cleaner and fuel additive were used, the idle speed now sits at about 1100 rpm give or take 50.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.