FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 91 egt, what intake system would work the best, I know there are probably more, but I was considering CTA Motorsports, Weapon R ( there are 2), or the K&N. Any reasons to pick one over the other or another brand? I need opinions!

·
Registered
710 Posts
My experience is with K&N, and there are two types: conical filter and drop-in OEM replacement. The OEM replacement won't get you much of an improvement unless you seriously modify the airbox. The conical filter is simply a cone filter that replaces the factory air box. If using one of these, your best bet is to run an outside air feed pipe to provide cooler fresh air to the engine rather than sucking underhood heat. The conical filter only replaces the airbox, however, so it doesn't have much in the way of visual appeal. With either K&N filter, you're apt to need some amount of modification to see any power gains.

·
Registered
244 Posts
with the 1.8 the general consensus is that no one makes a intake worth the money they ask for. CTA's is nice but its 3". On a fairly highly modified nonasperated 1.8 thats fine but its too much for most of us. You lose airspeed. 2.5" in a PLASTIC intake is what we need and no one makes it....

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are looking at modifying your air intake system, then you should also look at doing something with your exhaust. This of your car as a person, if you can inhale easy, but when you exhale you blow out through a straw, you will tend to suffer.

A good intake has to be mated with a good exhaust to give best results.

I installed the CTA Intake piping and mated that with an RX7 (vintage 1998 natrurally aspirated) VAF. I then installed the 1998 RX7 K&N Filter Kit.

(You can see some images at http://members.rogers.com/mrvermin/ ) Although they aren't that great, I'll get better ones soon.. 8)

You will aslo want to look at either a CatBack exhaust or a custom setup that includes larger flexpipe and larger free flowing CAT. I got a custom 2.25" exhaust from that Manifold back with a 2.25" Flexpipe and high flow 2.25" CAT.

I notice an improvement in responce and power above 4500rpm, but this does not help at lower RPM.

MrVermin

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I got a K&N FIPK kit with an RX-7 VAF, and it kicks ass... the intake growl is freakin MEAN and it really pulls up to redline...

I highly recommend it if you've got the cash. Took me about 120 bucks and a couple hours to install and tune. Well worth the money imo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More Questions

Just adding to the questions.... I have a 91 Tracer with the 1.8 DOHC I was wondering about the mass air flow sensor on it what kind of cold air intake do i get to take care of that. If someone knows please e-mail me the link to mabey a place to get it or any ideas.

[email protected]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info! I think I will do the exhaust 1st though. and Thunder, look at some of the engine pics in the car showroom and you can see how they hook-up. I would try to explain it, but I would probably not do a very good job of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok, the costs of what I did, I got the RX7 VAF from a BoneYard for $45 (All prices in CDN). Then the CTA intake piping and stuff was $140 (he gave me a discount as I was not taking the filter or the adapter..). The K&N RX7 FIPK kit was the most expensive at $175, and came with filter, a hugh adapter, and two bottles each of cleaner and oil.

After tuning it really rocks to the redline... and the throttle responce.... WOW.... :)

If you have the time and the spare cash, I would say DO IT.... :)

MrVermin

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey mrvermin sounds good, but your pic's don't work? It might be my shity computer, I don't know buy all the pic's have a little red x on them??? Can you send me a few pic's or fit it or something, I don't know. good work.

JustinGT :twisted:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll be taking better picts tomorrow. I'll get more of the intake as well as the new paint and custom job that I had donw to the body...

I'll try to e-mail them to you as well as maybe post them in the "Car Showcase"

MrVermin

·
Registered
618 Posts
The pictures don't work because he linked them from his computer, so as long as he has the pics in the same place, he can see them, but nobody else can.

mrvermin, feel free to send me an email or PM and I'll help you fix the problem if you want.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
92gt5spd said:
siragen...what exactly do you mean by "tune" what is there to tune when adding an intake??
Here's how you tune your ECU to change it's fuel mapping to correspond with the new intake (if necessary)

step 1: install new intake
step 2: remove negative (-) battery terminal
step 3: press brake pedal till everything is dead
step 4: plug wire back on battery
step 5: start the car up
step 6: drive it for a bit
step 7: wonder what the ECU is doing
step 8: know that the ECU is remapping the a/f mixture and the fuel curve :wink:
step 9: crack a budweiser and think to yourself "I'm so damn good, how can the girls resist me?"
step 10: look at your beer belly
step 11: realize while you have too much time on your hands to read this and then try it on your car

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
But why use an RX-7 Vaf....it's 3'' instead of 2,5 !?!?!? and...what does concern the tuning of the VAF sensor on the ECu?...is it still as james brutaly describes it or is it more ''scientifical'' hehehe :p and which RX-7 year ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.