FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the difference between a short ram intake and a cold air intake? Just wanting to know.

Justin GT :twisted:

·
Registered
545 Posts
i have no clue but im bored so ill take a stab.... short ram sounds like its ramming the air in (more air=more hp) and cold air gets u about stock ammount of air just its just cooler so that = hp. does that sound right? no clue...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Ram air usually is a shorter setup, but if I'm not mistaken, there's a vacuum that actually pulls in the air.

A cold air intake would just be like placing your intake filter underneath the bumper to get the coldest, most dense air possible.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Pretty much both right.

A ram air setup does what it sounds like it does, it puts the beginning of the intake tube where air gets rammed into it while you're driving, like a hood scoop would.

A cold air intake has the opening for the intake at a place where it will draw in cool, dense air, i.e. - the bumper.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Another possibility for a short ram intake is an intake that is shorter than the stock one. This allows the air to travel faster and in some cases (think velocity stacks on an old V-8) can be tuned. The idea behind a ram intake is to find the length that matches the engines natural power band. If you can find that length (insert lots of physics here) the engine gets a "ram" effect - it gets more air than it normally would. Those old velocity stacks are are a form of ram induction. When properly tuned velocity stacks have yielded volumetric effiecency numbers around 105-112%. Really amazing since numbers over 100% are typically reserved for superchargers and turbos. But it proves that you don't need forced induction to get more air into the engine.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Also, the longer an intake is, the more the throttle response suffers because it takes more time for a longer column of air to accelerate. The problem with a short ram intake on a street car, is that getting cool outside air into it is hard... so often people end up installing a short intake that, while theoretically allowing more air to enter.. the air is far less dense thanks to the underhood temperatures. A racecar can remove headlights.. cut ducts, etc to get cold air into a short intake. It's a tradeoff either way.. but on a streetcar, a well tuned cold air intake with a resonance chamber (a larger volume of air closer to the throttle plate for better response) is usually the best compromise for a street car. Oh, and a short intake will be the loudest... making it sound faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts