FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed the Intake Sound Resonator! Damn it sounds deeper. Sounds like i have a rice exhaust when it's in a lower gear (have an auto) Are there any dangers/ warning to be said regarding this? I know it increases HP by prolly .05, but what does it do to gas milage? IF i went one step further and put a cone filter on, would it still have that deep sound? Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good call on that one. First thing I did when I got my car.

It shouldn't have any negative effects... theoretically might even improve milage by avoiding rich burns under high throttle conditions, though the MAF shouldn't allow that to happen.

Only annoying thing is it sounds kinda loud on the highway on long trips, but who can't live with that? :)

As for a cone filter, yes it will improve airflow, *but* unless you put it in a box and route it down to a cold air source, it'll be feeding off warm engine bay air. Not good..

·
Registered
24 Posts
exactly where is the resonator? when i check my chilton manual it tells me the resonator is a metal square halfway down the intake closer to the throttle body. also, what are the basic steps to removing it?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
the black square PLASTIC box midway in the intake tube is on the 1.8l, and thats something you want to keep.

dynoproven 4ft lbs of torque. the resonator on the 1.9. is under the airbox in a fender pocket of sorts.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
no.. on the 1.9l there are a few 12mm bolts that hold the bottom of the air box in, take those and the box out.

now all you see is a weird saxophone shaped dealy and a big milk jug shaped thingy..

you remove 1 or 2, cant remember, more 12mm bolts, and then pull up on the saxophone shaped dealy and it comes right out, then yank the milk jug thingy out too. all done.

now you can either put the airbox back in (may want to enlarge the hole on the bottom), or put in any sort of intake you want.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a 3rd gen tracer, and I just yanked the resonator off. Question 1. What do I do with the extra space under the intake? Qustion 2. What do I do with the resonator? How 'bout an Electric Super Charger (Leaf Blower)
You could put it on an inverter with a dimmer swith to control boost, or do they make 12v ones? Anyway, thinking about keeping change in the resonator.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
you just start unbolting the airbox and yank the resonator out.

as for what you do with the space below the airbox once its gone, you do whatever you want with it.

the resonator itself i usually end up throwing them away.

leaf blowers blow a large cfm of air, but they dont provide positive air pressure... no boost.

the real electric superchargers are rather expensive and use starter motors to spin the turbine and run off of LOTS of power.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
it would only give any extra power if the original setup was being choked off..

i.e. the engine cant get the amount of air it needs to run efficiently...then the leaf blower would provide extra cfm of air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That was my first mod too!!!

I went a step further though. you know the round hole on the bottom... I used a dremel and cut out the trapazoid shaped spot on the bottom that the inlet hole was on... sounded great! You definately notice a power increase after that.

then I got the corksport MAF adapter, and an S&B funnel ram filter... but i think the modified stock box with the K&N drop in sounds better... Plus if you modify the stock box, and add the K&N you wont be pulling as much heated air as you would with just a bare cone filter...

-Mike-

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got mine out a couple weeks ago with some help from this forum. I can tell a difference, it does sound deeper. Nothing to go crazy about and mess yourself, but noticable. I also have straightpipes, i'm thinkin about puttin my fart can on for better sound. Thanks for the help on gettin the resonator out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts