FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my pacesetter cat-back today and installed it.
I noticed that the flange that attatches to the cat is 1 7/8" instead of the optimum 2.25. It expands right after the flange but still "an exhaust system is only as free flowing as the most restrictive part. this bothers me because i already have headers and am planning on building a 2.25 high flow cat. Now i will have to have the flange cut off and a 2.25 welded on.
Where the strait section and the over-axle pipe come together does not fit properly. I found it impossible to fit completely in even after stripping the paint and oiling the pipe. Finally i got it to fit without touching the heat shield by the gas tank but it is still VERY close.
I noticed very little in the way of power gaind but i am not worried because the exhaust is currently leaking from the flanges before and after the cat. I hope the gain will be noticed when the cat is in and the exhaust is sealed properly.

if i were to go back i would wait for the one barend is developing. I looked into that and it looks real quality so far.

Dave
91EGT

ps. I am very pleased with the pacesetter headers. WOW! (except for that crazy paint that burns off when you start the car the first time.)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
so what are you doin with this system? gonna keep it or trash it?

I decided that there was too much of a mixed reaction over pacesetters products that I'd just stay away. Then Matt came along and introduced his 2.25" stainless steel catback system. I'm not afraid to say that I got very excited about it. :p

Good luck with it whatever you plan to do.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey TK, it should be done pretty soon. We finally got the kinks out on the who getting the angle right subject. We tack welded the hardest part together last weekend and I'm waiting to hear from Matt as to how well it fit up. We are following his old system as a template so it should be all good. I just got back from being out of town for two days, so I need to get back with him as to when we will be getting together again. We took a couple pics last time, but I don't think they came out too well. I took one of the Thermometer reading 110 when we first started working that morning, but it didn't come out well at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, i'm definately going to keep it. I'm not the kind of person (or have the money) to just throw things away if i'm not completely satisfied.
My plan is to have some custom work done to it when the high flow cat gets built. Such as opening the one flange to 2.25 and sliding the whole system up 3/4" so it clears properly.

my initial dissapointment made me overlook a few small things that i am happy about.
1. those dual chrome tips look real pretty!
2. when my header/cat flange is not leaking it has a real deep pleasant sound.
3. After resetting the computer (which i forgot to do at the time of installation) i did notice more and a much smoother pull at high revs.

DAVE
91EGT

·
Registered
710 Posts
95EsortSittinLo said:
so if you had to make the decision again Would you go with pacesetter?
If I may add my two cents, having just ditched my Pacesetter cat-back system which was ONLY 8 months old, NO, I would not get a Pacesetter again. The header is decent and I had no problems with the flanges lining up on the catback, just very disappointed that the muffler developed a bad baffle so soon. I've had to spend way too much $ to get a decently running system on this car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
pacesetter

I've had some of the same problems with my pacesetter catback. It rubs against the heat shield( something I've been meaning to fix) and there is a leak up near the front. After the car runs a few minutes the leak stops.There is a nice tone once it gets going. I don't have a header yet so I don't know just how much power its going to create once its on, but even with just the catback there is more power. The pacesetter headers are good from what I've heard. The one I put on my eclipse worked great, but it took 2 full days for the paint to stop burning off. Plus be careful about the gaskets that come with them, I blew one out on the eclipse in 3 places the first week I had it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.