FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in today (usual no name place shut down so tried a big name place hoping not to get ripped off) for an oil change and tire rotation. Anyway they are saying I need my inner tie rods replaced and quoted a price of $88.88 for both tie rods, labor at $120.. there’s a mistake on the quote because it quotes labor at $120 then quote it in the final price at $189 before tax for 1.5 - 2 hours of work! They also listed an alignment at $69.99!!!! god I feel like I’m being dragged down a dark alley and robbed here! The total they are asking in $373.29?!?!?! to install a two $40 parts?

When I had it in a few months ago at the other place our mechanic there did mention I might need ball joints but only took a very quick look. Could he have mixed up the balls joints and the tie rods? The mechanic at the other place is a really nice guy but very scatter brained at times lol Anyway without telling the big name place anything about the car other than make and model after he’d looked at it he asked “does it shake while you’re driving on the highway” and it does shake quite a bit while driving.

I’d welcome any suggestions, I’m thinking I’ll shop around a bit and get more prices but need to get this done as I’d like to sell this car in as good a condition as possible plus I like to keep the car in good shape.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If I were you I'd check the yellow pages for an independent mechanic. His labor would probably be cheaper, but before I took the car in to have any work I'd ask him to inspect the front end and let me know if it needed any work or not.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FordMan59 said:
If I were you I'd check the yellow pages for an independent mechanic. His labor would probably be cheaper, but before I took the car in to have any work I'd ask him to inspect the front end and let me know if it needed any work or not.
Thanks, I've been looking around online and so far that seems to be about the going rate for what needs to be fixed and the symptoms do match the parts that need replaced. I might just get a second opinion before having anything done. Wish the no name place stayed open because they were nice and always did a decent rate on labor. Well if it needs to be done I'll need to have it done.

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
jack up either the entire front or one side at a time, and try wiggling the tire side to side, and up and down. if it has ANY movement, you have parts that need replaced.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pextor said:
jack up either the entire front or one side at a time, and try wiggling the tire side to side, and up and down. if it has ANY movement, you have parts that need replaced.
I'll have to do that once it stops raining. It likes to rain here almost every day at about the same time :lol:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I took my car into this place I never noticed anything more than a very slight pull to the left and that had only just started. Which is why I wanted to rotate the tires and check the alignment. After the oil change and tire rotation it now pulls quite a bit to the right and is noticeable. If I let go of the wheel it'll drift off to the right even if I steer just a bit to the left I still feel it drifting to the right? This normal, my tires do have normal wear and haven't been aligned in close to three years, could they have done something to make things worse when rotating the tires and checking the tie rods?

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
i doubt it, but if your tires are even slightly worn odd, rotating them may have exaggerated the problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Like was mentioned above jack the car up one side at a time, when moving the top/bottom of the wheel and getting excessive play indicates the ball joint. When moving the left and right back and forth it indicates outer tie rods. The inners are more or less a pivot point, but if I'm not mistaken you will hear a clunking noise if they are on their way out.

In either case self-diagnose the problem, replace the parts yourself then find a cheap place for an allignment when alls said and done. Or goto the place you went and the only thing out of your pocket is 70$ for the allignment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crystal said:
If there's play in your suspension, they shouldn't have aligned the car, period. Because there's no way to accurately set the reading requested.
That's exactly what they said. Couldn't align it they just swapped the wheels from back to front as requested. They said they'd do the alignment after the tie rods are replaced.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sleeper7 said:
Like was mentioned above jack the car up one side at a time, when moving the top/bottom of the wheel and getting excessive play indicates the ball joint. When moving the left and right back and forth it indicates outer tie rods. The inners are more or less a pivot point, but if I'm not mistaken you will hear a clunking noise if they are on their way out.

In either case self-diagnose the problem, replace the parts yourself then find a cheap place for an allignment when alls said and done. Or goto the place you went and the only thing out of your pocket is 70$ for the allignment.
I hear a clunking sound now and then when in the car never knew what it was now I think I do! I'd replace the parts myself if I had the space, tools and a second car to drive to work in but I don't and at the minute don't have a cheap way to get this fixed. :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zzyzzx said:
How many miles are on the car?
95k on the clock car drives perfect, excellent first car for me. I am going to replace it hoping before the end of the year. I think I can put a decent down payment in combination with a good sale and with the proceeds from selling my Tracer I could come away with an affordable new car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crystal said:
What do your strut mounts look like?
Mounts are new last year if I remember right and the struts are still in good shape. I do think it's the stupid tie rods it does seems to fit the issues I've had. Plus the car was driven from FL to TN just a few months ago so that's added a decent bit of wear and tear. I'll have what ever needs fixed, fixed before I sell this car.

·
Registered
15,564 Posts
If the car still has the original outer tie rod ends, you are way overdue. You should not need inner tie rod ends at that mileage unless you hit a curb, or something.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zzyzzx said:
If the car still has the original outer tie rod ends, you are way overdue. You should not need inner tie rod ends at that mileage unless you hit a curb, or something.
When you said curb that's what I suspect someone has done with this car before I bought it. Would explain why the drivers side would squeak when turning, the different tire and maybe even the small scuff mark. I've had the tie rods done. Squeaking is gone from my initial drive home, ticking and clumping sound is gone, there is some vibration while driving. My tires do appear to be worn on the edges and I've got 3 different tires on the car.

I found a place doing a special on Goodyear tires new at $50 each. I'm giving some thought to just saying screw the new car for right now fix this one up make it a good sale for someone and save a few months longer before splashing out. That way I win I save more for the new car and the buyer wins in that the car has a fresh set of tires on it when I sell it.

Will have to check out some reviews and prices at other places nearby.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new tires are on $50 dollars per tire plus tax and my bank account is a bit lighter than when I started lol I’m glad I got them. I checked my other tires again before I got the new ones and found one right on the borderline of being bald, another not far behind and two more that where good. The reason why two were worst than the other two is because when I bought the car it had one different tire on it then I had one get a hole in the sidewall. I decided against being cheap and just got 4 new tires all Goodyear, all the same type..etc.

The car now sounds different while driving; smoother quieter than before no vibrations. It no longer feels like I’m driving over uneven ground lol. I’d say that was $200 well spent on the tires and I’m glad the inner tie rods are done. There isn’t as much as a squeak while turning anymore either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.