FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the newest issue of import tuner and it is all aobut drifting believe it or not it even tells you what domestic cars would be good for drifting and what you ened to do it....Its pretty good..i reccomend it. :thumbright:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well seeing as I don't really feel like going out and buying it, (my only magazine is EGM) what kinds of cars did they say were good for the drifting?

Drifting ain't all that big where I live most people drag race on the highways a ways out from town at 3 am...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well they use the mustang as the " example" car where you can get parts and what to do...but they say old camaros work and a few others i forgot the whole issue is dedicated to drifting tho which is pretty hot.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Mustangs? IMO Mustangs are much too heavy and unwieldly, but then again I've never driven one so I can't say. I'd try and use something very light and RWD like... er... That new thunderbird. Those're harder to come by though... Lets see... well I guess there just aren't too many small rwd domestics.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I always thought mustangs weren't good at cornering either, but I was proven wrong. You see, the last autocross I went to had a couple of mustangs there. I think at least one of them was stock. To my suprise they actually faired quite well on the short twisty course. Some of it was probably the driver, but you could tell by watching that he/she was not struggling to keep the car under control, it responded very well. I guess it just goes to show you that you shouldn't assume anything without first having seen it for yourself.

BTW, my favorite magazines are; Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Maxim, and there's one I can't remember the name of; I think it has a picture of a bunny on the front. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I used to get road and track but I figured out that I was never gonna be able to afford any of the cars. Still, I liked to drool. I started getting it in 6th grade and my mom accidently let the subscription run out, I told her it was okay not to renew it 'cause I hadn't been reading it much lately.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Try Grassroots Motorsports. Lots more real world applications than those other rags. I get R&T also but am letting my sub run out. Just not in the market for a Bugatti Quad-turbo 16 for $1 mil. GRM lets the budget-minded racer hop up his or her ride for maximum potential and explains the physics of the modification, rather than the other mags that tell you what parts you need to buy in order to keep their advertisers happy (SCC, SS, IT....)

·
Registered
244 Posts
guys...guys....the mustang is an excellent cornering muscle car...because its weight distrobution is almost 50/50 front and back...you can't get that with a corvette...camero or any other of those GM cars....

·
Registered
914 Posts
Wow really? That means its weight distribution is about as good as the afore mentioned 240SX, which, incidentally, is not a domestic, so doesn't fit the category. :p Neato though. I might have to test drive one. I never wanted one because they look so big and boxy that I didn't think they'd fit my style of driving. I guess I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
guys...guys....the mustang is an excellent cornering muscle car...because its weight distrobution is almost 50/50 front and back...you can't get that with a corvette...camero or any other of those GM cars....
What :?:

2002 SVT Cobra = 57/43
2002 V6 Mustang = 55/45

The v8 mustangs are no where near 50/50.. the entire engine sits on top of the front axle. They handle pretty well once you put some super stiff front springs on the front to keep the mid corner push to a minimum, and the rear traction to a maximum for leaving the corners (essentially keeping any more weight from spilling forward). Yeah, they corner great once you do that. Out of the box though, they're muscle cars.

1996 Camaro = 56/44

Of course.. if you're talking about drifting, low traction on the rear coupled with live axles and lots of torque is great... we've been drifting in the US for many many years.. the Japanese were just discovering it in the early 80's and created a sport out of it.

Grassroots and SCC are my favorite subscriptions as well. Lots of good info on real world performance.

·
Registered
914 Posts
BTW, what is SCC? Does it have anything to do with the SCCA? Honestly I've never heard of it until now, but around my house the magazines stores tend to carry are: Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Superstreet, Import Tuner, and a bunch of motorcycling magazines. I guess I'd have to go internet to get a subscription. Was hoping I could pick up an issue off the stand so I could decide but I dunno.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Coyote-x, get one (Sport Compact Car) off the news stands, and then read the articles.. they're great. The writers are clearly dedicated to understanding what makes cars fast.. while half of their readers are dedicated to looking like they were doubles in The Fast and the Furious. The riciest parts of their rag are the adds and the Streetside where readers send in pics of their cars. They're mostly unbiased when it comes to fast compact cars.. as long as they're fast they don't care who makes them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.