FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took the day off so I had a friend over and we drove all over the city. It was fun, and my car performed flawlessly.

Then my brother called after my friend had left and he wanted me to go feed and let his dog out, etc. I was like ok so I jumped on the highway went out there, fed the dog, let her out, and then left.

He lives in a suburb off a major road in which you have to gun it and go to get out...especially when turning left. Which is exactly what I did. I found an opening revved to 3k and gunned it. I wound out 1st gear to stay ahead of traffic, and then as I was shifting it into second (keep in mind my synchros suck and I really had to PULL) I got it in, put my foot back on the gas, and looked back JUST as this whitish cloud of a puff of smoke came out my tailpipes...I was like wtf?

Off the next intersection I did it again, whitish cloud of a puff again. I couldn't tell if it was really blue or white as I was driving away from the sun so the light hit it before i saw it...etc. It might just be oil.

The next stop sign I gunned it again, no smoke. Then when I got on the onramp I did it again. No smoke.

Now last winter, I noticed while was shoveling the snow in my driveway with my car running that when I went to move my car to where I shovelled already, I looked down at where it had been sitting and noticed a little puddle (more like about 3 or 4 really tiny drips) of green liquid (coolant) sitting there. I've only filled my coolant up once and my light hasn't come on since a few weeks after I noticed that little puddle.

What I need to know is exactly where can coolant get into the combustion chamber WITHOUT it being a crack in the block. Because if it's a crack in the block, trying to save the engine wouldn't really matter.

I'm really hoping this is just oil as I know it's using oil and I'm sure it's because that stupid shop did something to my head which screwed it up. :x

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I agree with the others. Just one point I would like to make is that I was always taught that 1st gear is merely an 'anit-inertia' gear and that second should be engaged as soon as the car is moving. If I were to 'gun' it in first, I would have difficulty in engaging 2nd. I just pull away in 1st and go straight into 2nd with no trouble; if I over rev in 1st I have to 'pull' into 2nd. Don't know how you get away with it!! :D

PS: Please don't think I'm criticizing your driving technique, (that would be like teaching granny to suck eggs) it's just that I've noticed the same thing in the 'kills' thread both here and on other sites I use. :oops:

PPS: Is it not blue smoke you should be most worried about? :? Hope you find it's nothing too serious.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foxy said:
PS: Please don't think I'm criticizing your driving technique, (that would be like teaching granny to suck eggs) it's just that I've noticed the same thing in the 'kills' thread both here and on other sites I use. :oops:

PPS: Is it not blue smoke you should be most worried about? :? Hope you find it's nothing too serious.
I'm not going to take it like that at all Foxy. My second gear synchro sucks no matter where I shift at. On a normal "glide" off a stop light I usually rev to about 4k and shift, and it's still a pain in the butt to shift into second. I've revved to 7k in first, put it in second and chirped my tires...I've only done it once, & I was proud of it. :D But I never noticed the smoke until yesterday.

But in this case, I needed all the rpms I could get because of the dreaded left hand turn onto a busy road (in your case it'd be a right turn onto a busy road). People here are jerks, when they see someone pulling out of an intersection in which they know they have the right of way, they speed up... :x

Blue smoke is easier to diagnose and it's normally just a worn seal or gasket.

White smoke is more scary because it's either a gasket or a crack in the block.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I used to have a Vauxhall Astra Estate (Opel Kadet Waggon in US?). On my way home from work is a really deep gorge; when I drove to the bottom I had to make a sharp left hand turn and accelerate hard up the other side. As soon as I put my foot down, a huge puff of blue smoke would appear behind me and follow me all the way to the top - it was really embarrassing if I had cars behind me! :oops: One day I noticed the smoke had stopped - it never came back! :?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
James92Scort said:
Now last winter, I noticed while was shoveling the snow in my driveway with my car running that when I went to move my car to where I shovelled already, I looked down at where it had been sitting and noticed a little puddle (more like about 3 or 4 really tiny drips) of green liquid (coolant) sitting there. I've only filled my coolant up once and my light hasn't come on since a few weeks after I noticed that little puddle.Thanks for any help.
You too Eh?

Every time I went booking it over the remains of where a plow had been I noticed the same thing, only it was A LOT of coolant. I obviously checked it out, but found nothing. Of course in the winter it's really hard to tell if it's leaking coolant, or just melted snow in the engine bay. It happened every time I literally burried the front end of the car (think of the Volkswagen Toureg commercial, same size only I make it over).

That was the only time it did it. I wiggled and warped hoses all over, but could never get it to leak. I think it may have been the snow pushing on the bottom section of the rad.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have leakage from a leaky head gasket, you will have a rough idol and smell someting like steam comming from the exaust at idle, along with some steam type "smoke" Check the anitfreeze, if its choclate colored you have a head gasket leak, or if you get bubbles in the raidator with the cap off which smell like exaust when they surface, you may have a head gasket leak too.The few drips of anti freeze you notice dosent mean you have a bad head gasket, look under the car and see where its comming from, most likely a bad hose or a loose hose clamp, worst case a leaky raidator. The smoke or what ever you saw come out of the exaust could of been just stuff collecting up in your exaust system, remember you had the engine wound up, like there is a lot of pressure going out that tail pipe, then shift, well. lots of turbulance. Take the car out and in low gear, go about 30 MPH, or on the tack maybe 3000 RPM, then just let off the gas, then at 10 MPH punch it, if you see smoke out the tail pipe, the engine is sucking a bit of oil, but this does not mean bad head gasket. These are extreme conditions so you still need not worry depending on the miles on the car. any time an engine is punched hard, as you did, you may see some smoke, or who knows what may come out of the exaust, just hope you dont see a piston or rod come out there !
Good Luck, keep an eye on the anti freeze levels, and you can also check the plugs, if you pull one which is pure white on the insulator and the rest are sort of off white, you may be washing it with antifreeze. Genreally if you have a head gasket leak, on a four cylinder car, it will idol so bad, just like if you pulled a plug wire.
As far as the dog, I have to feed and walk my womans dog too, If I didnt do it, some other guy would so I have to do it, you know how women are.
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.