FEOA Forums banner

Im Back and this time with a 98 zx2 turbo

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Angelo101 
#1 ·
alright im about to get my hands on a 98 zx2 turbo tonight and have a couple questions.

First off the the car idels erradiclly, it idels up and down between 2000-2500rpm and doesn't stop. Does anyone have any clue as to what that could be from or where i can start looking in order to fix it?

Also the car smokes for a good 10-15mins on start up. So any clue to what that might be?

Any info would help as i dont know much about turbo setups.

#2 ·
the smoke can be its running VERY rich or bad rings , bad seals in the turbo more than likely very rich , just keep an eye on the dip stick.

erratic idle ...could be a ton of things , the turbo guru's can point out a few main known issues i'm sure.

is it draw through or blow through ?

leaks anywhere? vac lines , charge pipes

#3 ·
Thanks for the info silex, the car does smell like it's burning very rich, found out also that the erratic idel was pretty much just crappy gas and an intake hose was parcialy off.
Any clue as to why it's running so rich?

Wow after playing around with it today iv got so many questions and like i said before, i don't know much about turbo setups yet.

Well i had it running at work for a bit and all of a sudden coolent leak just my luck too! It's comming from the passenger side near the back of the motor.
Any clue as to what the leak might be from?

Also the car came with a safc and greddy turbo booster but i have no clue as to how i would hook up either of them? For the safc it's all wires so it wouldn't be that hard but it didn't come with any sort of manual or wire diagram of any sort.
So if anyone could send me or knows of where i can get a wire diagram for the safc that would be sweet!
And also any info on how to hook up the booster?

What should i use for plugs as far as brand goes and how big should i gap them?

The car also has adjustable cam gears so is there any specific deg that i should have each of them set to?

Im also woundering if anyone knows of the car already, cause im pretty sure by how much money is in it that it was a probly a previous feoa member. Ill just give a breif discription of the car and ill have pics tommorow.
Well from what i can tell the car was from Toronto, Ontario area at one point then made its way to New Hambourg, Ontario. It's flat black with a full body kit, skirts are molded to the car as well as the tail lights, it's got lambos, carbon fiber hood with scoop, gunmetal rims, lowered, spoiler, and a full turbo setup on a 2.0L ztec motor.

Thanks for any info!!!

#4 ·
Might have blown a frost plug if there is too much pressure in the manifold. You probly would have blown your dipstick tho, and if I recall correctly your PCV valve is venting to atmosphere. I responded in your thread over on teamzx2.com, hit me up on msn too sober20012AThotmailDOTcom

I have a plethora of info on your car, also, you have a high comp head with high rev cams. If you ask me, your best bet would be to switch the head back to a stock one, with a nice thick headgasket, it will make tuning MUCH MUCH easier, as I believe your at a 11:1 ratio right now, which will be a total pain in the ass to tune. Steeda has some info on your car too, because when I was looking into buying it I set up an appointment with them to tune it. They are not far from you and are the ford kings when it comes to forced induction and tuning.

The guy who built your car used to own a shop up there in TO. They went out of business for reasons Im sure you are now aware of. The guy you bought it from knew next to nothing about it.

#6 ·
Your blowing black smoke on start up because that is when oil pressure is the highest, and either the orignal owner did'nt install a oil restrictor, or the oil seal is just leaky.

I would'nt boost the car at all untill I knew what is has for tuning and injectors. AFC does'nt do you any good if you dont know what size injectors you have in there.

#7 ·
yea the steeda boys in Milton are amazing.

i agree with ChasingSafety , seems the guy tried doing too much at once before it was set up properly .

dig into it angelo an see what it has google is great for the " wtf is this "

it more thank likely has stock injectors but goggle a ford injector color code list

i found this ford inj layout
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/ ... _Guide.jpg

if that helps any

#9 ·
sounds like a cobbled up "ive got too much money to burn" previous owner...

defintely start by identifying EVERYTHING done to teh car, get it running as normal as you can, even if that means no boost for a while.

try to save this car from dying a horrible death of bad tuning and ignorance.

#10 ·
any update?

#11 ·
Well i figured id update and let everyone know whats going on. Basicly i put in a new motor, got it running real good...so i thought.....well basicly i blew it up, put four holes in the bitch,lol. if you want to follow on what happened just click this link:
http://teamzx2.com/showthread.php/19904 ... -problems!!

Anyway iv taken the blown motor out and now i am in the process of rebuilding the original one the car came with and putting it back in.

Here's some pics of what iv been up too lately:

Motor out, start of the clean up!

The Clean UP!!

The Finished result!!

Some Parts iv gotta already:

Fors focus svt head gasket, head bolts, tranny axel output seals, new fuel filter and injector o-rings.

Vibrant Universal Oil Drain kit:

New Diverter valve:

Black FMIC Piping kit and old BOV:

SS Braided Clutch line and fittings:

If your interested in following up on my build just visit:
http://teamzx2.com/showthread.php/23227 ... rbo-Build-)?p=400591#post400591

#15 ·
zx2 stealth! i kinda like it actualy.

#18 ·
Time out... on your build page you say you have a 215lph Focus fuel pump? Does that exist?

#19 ·
wow you did a really good job cleaning that engine bay up! Nice to see you are gonna have a strong motor to back up that bodywork. Keep us updated with the build!

#21 ·
ciento44 said:
Time out... on your build page you say you have a 215lph Focus fuel pump? Does that exist?
Yup.... but you have to get one that has a date stamp of 2003+ or any 2003+ focus. You might find one in an older focus if it was re-called cause some of them were from what i know.
Got mine from the wreakers at $35 with date stamp of 06/17/03

#22 ·
vtec-this said:
wow you did a really good job cleaning that engine bay up! Nice to see you are gonna have a strong motor to back up that bodywork. Keep us updated with the build!
x2 on this that engine bay looks MINT great job angelo, can't wait to see the finished product man!

#23 ·
Here's the 215lph 2003 Focus fuel pump i got:

Also im making the car completly keyless, getting rid of the ignition and making it push start. This will be my ignition key, basicly it will turn on my acc, fuel pump, ect...just like when you put your key in the on postion and then im will be running a push start button to engage the starter.

I also had the old scort like this too exept my ignition key was ran off a switch. I added a few pics of my old setup for ppl to get a better idea of what i mean.

As you can see there is no ignition.

My push start button at the bottom where the cig lighter goes.

#24 ·
Angelo101 said:
ciento44 said:
Yup.... but you have to get one that has a date stamp of 2003+ or any 2003+ focus. You might find one in an older focus if it was re-called cause some of them were from what i know.
Got mine from the wreakers at $35 with date stamp of 06/17/03
Why did they put such a huge volume fuel pump in those cars?

Seems like a cheap way to upgrade the pump in the MX6.

#25 ·
[/quote]Why did they put such a huge volume fuel pump in those cars?

Seems like a cheap way to upgrade the pump in the MX6.[/quote]

I'm not really sure but to the best of my knowledge they had problems with the earlier years so they upgraded and some of the earlier ones got recalled witch is why some of them might have a newer one. If you can find a focus svt pump they fit too and there 255lph.

#26 ·
Let the wire tuck begin :D I plan on seeing the least amount of wires as possible in the engine bay. I am also re-locating the fuse box and ccrm into the driver fender well. The battery will be moved to the trunk for more space and a cleaner look, good advantage for the system too as the wires will be short going to my amps :D

Got rid of the power wire going to the alt and starter (plan on upgrading and running my own) Also got rid of the ground wire going to the tranny (plan on upgrading all my grounds+)

The power wires i removed from the alt/starter and the ground from battery to tranny.

The ecu harness exposed!

The left overs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.