FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Mine is starting to act up (the door chime). I pulled the switch from the lock assembly last week and played around with it a bit... My switch is fine, but I fear my tumbler is just going to get bad. When that happens I'm going to install one of these:

I might make my own panel.. It would be cool to remove the ignition lock and put a nice big start button in it's place.

I will have my own method of security installed, of course.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
I knew you'd ask if I was vauge enough 8)

RFID = Radio Frequency ID

Siemens Unlocks The Future Of Driving -- With A Card

RFID is already being used by GM, Ford, Honda, MB, BMW.. and several of other auto manufacturers for immobilization purposes. They all use a transponder in the key. The transponders are passive. Once they're hit with the RFID signal from the car they bounce back a code.. if the code matches the rolling code that the RFID device is expecting it kills the immobilizer and the car will start. Most of the factory ones are triggered once the key is inserted into the lock so that the RFID device isn't constantly searching for a transponder. It's because of this technology that the Honda Accord and Acura CL finally dropped off of the top spots on the most-stolen-cars lists.

As that article illustrates, you can carry a credit card sized transponder and not worry about keys (as long as your battery still has some juice in it).

Side note:
I work as a support tech in a library. In the next few years we're going to be upgrading our cataloging system to RDIF. Each book will have a transponder inserted into the spline or glued to an inside cover (they even make special transponders that go onto CDs). They just look like pieces of foil, but they each relay a unique serial number. This means that someday down the road a patron could pick up a book and as long as they have their library card (which would have it's own transponder) they'd only need to walk through the exit gates to check the book out. The computer would know from the numbers who left with what book. There are also scanners for shelves, so that you can tell the scanner what out-of-place book you're looking for and then walk down the shelves.. it'll beep when you come to the book. As you can imagine, this technology revolutionizes the library world. :D

NYC area toll roads are already using the same technology to collect tolls from drivers. As the cars drive by the toll center at speed they have their accounts charged for the toll. It helps to reduce traffic congestion at the toll centers. I think the programs are already being implemented across the US right now. You might have heard of the ID chip that can be perminantly injected into your flesh (usually in your arm or leg) for the purpose of IDing you for medical purposes. It uses the same RFID technology.

So, try to remember that acronym, you're likely to hear a lot more about it's uses in the next few years.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
No reason to fear. The chip doesn't store any of that information on it. It only stores a serial number. The scanner at the hospital then connects to a central database and gets all of the nitty-gritty stuff.

Something about an ID chip still creeps me out though.. even knowing that. I don't want to become a number, I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.