FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I start the car, it'll be nothing, like the battery is dead or something, and then all of a sudden, it starts up like it normally does, pretty quickly. The other night I tried to start it up, and I had to try and start it 40 times with that "click" before it started fine. Do I have to have it in gear when I start it? This has been happening to me often. Thanks in advance for your answers, or guidance.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Probably need a new ignition switch ???

If it's a standard trans, it could be the clutch swtich

If it's an auto trans, it could be the neutral switch

Could also be the starter itself, or a bad ground..........

What year model ???

Which trans ????

Which engine ?????

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1994 LX, Manual 5-spd, 1.9L engine

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Have you checked the connections at the battery, starter and ground to make sure they are clean and tight? Might also want to take a look at the battery cables themselves. If they have cracks in the insulation sometime they will corrode inside the cable.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
I had the same thing happening on our 92 LX 1.9L, at 195,000 miles. Being really 'cheap' I first ran a wire from the small terminal on the starter, long enough to reach the positive cable of the battery, but just left it dangline nearby. When a few tries with the ignition switch wouldnt get the starter to begin - I would turn the ign. switch on, open the hood and connect my added wire, to the positive post on the battery - and it would start up. A new starter was the fix. (wife was tired of opening the hood to start the engine when during rain). I could have just gotten a new starter solenoid (it mounts to the starter), but I figured if the solenoid was worn out, the brushes and commutator were likely well worn too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When you try to start it, and you get nothing (like a dead battery), do your seat belts move? How about the idiot lights? Fuel pump prime?

When the ignition switch went in my '94, those were the symptoms; upon turning the key, the seat belts didn't move as they should have, and I got no priming of the fuel pump. Also, I didn't get the full compliment of idiot lights that should have been.

If this sounds familiar, I would bank on an ignition switch. Mine was right around the same mileage as your too - right around 200k.

Let us know what you find.

Wade

PS - What part of SC are you in? I'm in the Columbia/Lexington area.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything turns on like it's supposed to. Except the engine. Which would be the most important part, haha. I was hoping it wasn't the ignition switch. expensive apparently
I'm also in the columbia area

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmmm......I'm faaar from an expert, but it sounds like it could be any of the things mentioned - ignition switch, starter, solenoid....

BTW, I don't think the ig sw is too terribly expensive. I don't remember what mine was, but you're only talking about the electronic part - AZ has it listed for $20.. But still, not sure that that's the culprit at this point.

Wade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.