FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've followed all of the advice so far but I can't get this idle problem fixed. At a stop, with the clutch in, the idle (if you can trust the tach) sits at around 700 RPM but the car shakes. It's enough to be annoying and even causes something under the hood to squeak/rattle. Bump the idle up a bit with the gas pedal and it smooths right out. I have the ES motor mount inserts and a 50% UDP (no dampener) - that may be why I feel so much but it should be smoother than this.
So far I have:
Replaced the IAC
Replaced the EGR valve
Replaced the PCV valve
Swapped a different TPS
Replaced some loose fitting vacuum hoses
Replaced the plugs and wires
Sonic cleaned and tested the injectors
The engine is rebuilt, including a valve job. I have tested for vacuum leaks and haven't found anything. I'm tired of throwing money at this problem. I may just replace the set idle screw with an adjustable one and just crank it up a bit.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think 93 with the 1.9 then after I swapped the SPI in idled around 800-900, don't remember been it's about 3 years, I had the ES mounts on both and a 50% UDP on the SPI, both vibrated a lot too. I don't know how much your's is vibrating to compare. But once you fill your mounts it's gonna vibrate quite a bit. Try taking the ES mounts out and compare with that.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
700 is a perfect idle. You've changed out your rubber engine mounts to something comparable to a cinder block, you're going to feel the motor vibrate.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right about the rigidness. I even get a bit of a thud when I start it. I prefer the performance of the mounts over stock. Maybe they will soften up a little over time. The car feels real solid with all of the mods so far. Not bad for a wagon with 245K on the clock.
Meanwhile I will probably stop pursuing this and just put in an adjustable idle screw. I may be able to back it up in a year or so. I only have about 750 miles on the new mounts. I have never driven a 'scort before this project so I don't know how they normally run.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
EscorGo said:
Not bad for a wagon with 245K on the clock.
Good god, no wonder you're noticing vibrations, 245K mounts are probably pretty soft, especially compared to the ES mounts inserts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.