FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
im new here . never posted before i have a 98 zx2 that will not idle right
back story around feb of this year i paid a friend to do the timming.
he could have done it right im not 100% sure if timming would cause this or not . also last yeararound this time i replaced a pcv vavle and hoes.
seems to run fine if u get in the gas hard. as soon as u let go of the pedal it starts to act up idle up down up down then somtimes cuts off goes from 1500 rpms to 500 then bk up to aroubd 1500 somtimes up to 2000 then bk down to 500
seem to be wrost in park and n . when its in drive the rpms only jump few 100 .
1000 to around 1200 . but still jumping
there is no check engine light. but car can not be drove its not road legal yet
i wanted to fix it before puttin it bk on the road .
how would i get it to throw codes???. without driving it . im not even sure if it would be road able.
does this sound like timming done wrong? bad o2 ?
i have videos . if i can figure out how to add them i will .
thanks
idle in park

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
there is an entire list of things that could be the problem... these era fords are famous for not throwing codes. one time i saw an engine with a piston through the block not throw a misfire code lol. ideally you need a scanner that can read live data, and then know what your looking at, which is the difficult part. timing could be off a tooth, possibly.. very possible its a vac leak somwehere, maybe the pcv hose came loose or cracked... any other possibility of vacuum leaks tool. oxygen sensor will NOT cause this problem. i know this isnt very helpful, but the possibilities are limitless.

·
Registered
755 Posts
since you just had done some work on the car you should start with going over those things again. Timing is a problem on these cars with people who have never done it before and are not familiar with them. Due to this, the problem may still be the timing.

there is a thread with similar issue you are having which I provided directions on how to set the timing. Use this information to review the timing to ensure it is done correctly.

i bought a car a couple months ago for a member of these groups from someone who had two mechanics work on it and they both got the timing wrong so it happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Rectangle

update now when u start car it runs for a few sec then cuts off .
im now getting a p0340 cam code
4 cylinder i think your right its the timming
i found your directions 4 cyl. and it said only loosen intake cam . when i no for a fact the last mechanic loosened both cams cause i had to buy that e40 bit(or whateverits called) . cause he didnot have it . maybe thats were the mix up is at. im not sure
question how would i no for a fact that the vct is set right ?. would that cause a po340
or is that the belt itself being a few teeth off?
thanks for all the help everyone .

·
Registered
755 Posts
im glad you found that post i made because that will get you up and running if the timing is the only issue.

at this point with the code you have you should be able to just go over the steps again and the code should go away. The key is to do them in the order i put them in that post, no deviations.

if you are getting hung up on the exhaust cam being played with dont get hung up on is it being "set right." The key to this part is to ensure it was put back together properly. There is a tab on the underside of the cam gear which fits into a hole on the vct spool and occasionally people install this wrong and end up bending that tab so it is flat and not in that hole. That is uncommon but it does happen.

So at this point i would just reset the timing belt following the directions i posted. I would also check about this part you posted

........also last yeararound this time i replaced a pcv vavle and hoes.
i just replied to another post which had a member asking about part number for pcv hose. All the replies were giving the person the wrong part number and wrong part. The 98 uses a pcv valve connected to a pcv elbow into a short metal tube bolted to the engine underneath the thermostat housing. From this point it uses a fuel hose leading to the underside of the intake manifold. 98 was the only year to use this setup. If you made the mistake of following all the wrong answers provided in a thread like that then you have installed the wrong pcv hose to the intake. This is important because the newer version has a larger end on the part which connects to the intake manifold. This larger end will not stay in place on the 98 intake manifold and will cause a vacuum leak causing the car to die out after running for a little while. It will not give the same symptoms as one going bad, it will just cause a vacuum leak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
give me a few days to take everthing apart
today is hot here 96. its not even summer yet its goin to be hot as hell this year . i dnt do good in heat .. i will do an update as soon as i can get bk out there without having a heat stroke
thanks again for the help..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts