FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed sitting at stop lights the other day that my car would run much better if it idled at 1000-1200 rpm.
It currently idles at 800.

Does anyone know on the 1.8l bp motor if idle speed can be adjusted?

ALso for driving it would be nice no to have the idle drop all the way down to 600-800 and be slow responsive after coasting for a while. My gt bogs after dropping rpm from high to idle. Rarely it stalls from this. My dad's 92lx wagon dimms its lights when doing this. the wagon is very predictable in this.

Can anyone give any info on raising my idle speed. it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
91EGT

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I believe that you can...but I've also been told and read that you can't.

I do know that there is a little screw on the throttle body with a black plastic lid covering it, if it is adjustable I think that's how you would do it.

Before you go and turn it though make sure you mark the screw and the lid on where the screw WAS before tampering with it. That way if anything is worse off, then you can turn it back to where it was.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i've done this.. on your throttle body, where your gas pedal line comes in to that circle thing (where you can manual rev.. impresses dumb chicks around my town) you can adjust what your pedal sits at when it idles.. i can get pics tommorrow if need be

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that souds like what i was thinking. i'll try i in the morning and update.

Dave
91EGT
P>s really? manually reving your motor impresses dumb chicks where you live to?! what a small world....

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I took the liberty of taking some pics for the both of us. :wink:
I love my digi Camera. :D :D

of first things first. the throttle body:

Here's the thing nukewater was talking about, I would have to call it the throttle itself as when you twist it it'll open up the plate inside which revs your car.

It's right above my index finger:

The screw I was talking about:

Now something I didn't even know until i ran out and got my Haynes manual.

This is the Idle Speed Control Valve:

I remembered another way to up your idle speed is messing with your timing, this involves loosening your distributor and moving it until you hear the engine speed up. I would think that this method wastes gas and is hell on your ECU.

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
Before you do that I would make sure that the car is in good tune, check foe vacuum leaks and air leaks, check the EGR, and clean the MAF sensor. Also, clean coolant temperature sensor electrical contacts. Clean the throddle body and IAC. Check for leaks in the PVC system, etc. Then check for stored computer codes. After all this if your car still doesn't idle right, then only as a last resort should you even consider raising the idle. Most likely your raising of the idle is masking a proble of some sort...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I gotta agree with zzyzzx. If it's not running right, don't blame the idle speed. 800 rpm is intended, and altering that setting will influence throttle response, fuel economy, emissions, and max power. I'm guessing (if your idle speed drops below 800rpm and hesitates when trying to accelerate again) that you have a vacuum leak.

Is your 91 GT an auto or a manual? Do you have A/C?

Your dad's LX has a servo controlled air bypass valve for a computer controlled idle speed. No adjustment.

And James, advancing the timing to alter the idle speed could be disasterous. Timing that's too advanced can lead to high speed detonation... which wreaks havoc on your pistons, headgasket, valves and rings. Some gifted mechanics can set the timing by ear by listening to the idle speed, but the difference is that they're setting the timing, not the idle :wink: Know what I mean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.