FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so on my lovely ZX2 which I just got.. Im already having problems.. The idle is a little rough... and when in gear the car tends to hop, sputter, jerk.. what ever you would like to call it, no matter what gear Im in or what RPM Im at.. I do still have a warranty on the car.. but it only covers 25% parts and labor.. so I looked at the recalls and service bullitens.. and it said something about zx2 rough idles.. does anyone know anything about this.. and since its a service bulliten from ford can I get it fixed for free??

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
wow. This is a VERY broad problem.

Check to make sure that you are getting fuel and spark, and check the obvious things first, like spark plugs that don't suck.

Does the idle seem okay just by itself when it's sitting there, and then tend to suck when you open the throttle a little?

If it's okay at idle and then farts out when you open the throttle, then you've got unmetered air, bad VAF... er, MAF, etc. Cause what happens is you run lean and then the engine dies.

Concerning hopping, mine does a little hopping too, and I think that that may have something to do with the ISC valve. hm. It's hard to tell cause it could be so many things.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know if I take this to a ford dealer if they will have a look and not charge me (at least not an arm and a leg).. after all if they put out a service bulletin for the idle problem so it must happen often.. keep the ideas flowing.. I dont want to get raped when I take this to the shop..

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Check your PCV valve, is there oil all over it? My car idled like crap until today when I just replaced my PCV valve on my 92 GT. Now, when it's warm and idling, it idles SOO much smoother. But when you're in gear and it hops/jerks, that sounds like an intake problem. Check the tube between the filter/maf and the throttle body. it could have a tear or something in it causing dirty air to get into the engine.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
There are so many things this could be, but since your car is kind of new I'm guessing TPS, unless you took something apart and didn't put it back togather right and have a vacuum or air leak.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope.. I havent touched anything on the car yet.. but the service engine soon light did come on today.. so Im going to try to get it to a garage and get the diagnostic check done...

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
StevieJ said:
Nope.. I havent touched anything on the car yet.. but the service engine soon light did come on today.. so Im going to try to get it to a garage and get the diagnostic check done...
Consider purchasing a code scanner and doing this yourself. What you'd pay to have your codes scanned might be enough to buy your own code scanner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well on my way to my to the shop today it become horribly noticable what was wrong... I new that the plugs were slightly wore but didnt thing they would be the cause until this morning.. I got to the shop pulled plug one and it was destroyed.. 4 Bosch Plantinum 4's down the drain.. those plugs are not meant for domestic cars.. I dont know who put them in that car.. but they should be smacked.. oh well its all fixed and runs better than when I bought it.. thanks for the help...

·
Registered
911 Posts
i'm using nkg plugs...and me and my friends designed some very very low resistant plug wires for my sophomore project over at devry (i major in EET) and i love the performance.

Next for my junior project, we're working on running the car from a laptop. Sorta like an ECU emulator. I'm working on programming the realtime charts and my friend is working on the programming the emulator, and my other friend is working on designing the interface circuit for a parallel and rj232 port to a wiring harness....its gonna be sweet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts