FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im looking at a 3rd gen for my gf, and I came upon one that seems like a very very good deal for the price. There's not a spot of rust on the body. The biggest problem, I think it needs a timing belt. I looked through the maintenance records that the guy had and the serpentine belt was replaced at like 80,000km (it has 196,000km now). The timing belt was never replaced yet! Which leads me to believe it's gotta be the timing belt.

It makes a whistling/whining noise when you add some throttle, and it's 100% coming from the belt area.

Is it the timing belt or what..?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use a long breaker bar or extension bar between the timing cover and your ear to verify that the sound is indeed coming from beneath the cover (if you haven't done this already.)
Just went through this with mine; the sound was a chatter at low idle speed, and became more of a cross between a groan and whine as it picked up. Didn't start, however, until the engine was warmed up. If the engine was stopped, then re-started while still hot, the noise was immediate, but not if the engine was allowed to cool before the re-start.
The issue was the timing belt tensioner. The belt itself had been replaced less than 20K miles earlier, but the tensioner had never been in the car's 170K mile history.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting....

Yeah it definitely sounds like a high pitch turbo-ish noise. Maybe its the alternator! That's a pretty cheap fix and really easy, which makes me a lot happier.

I'd still like to replace the timing belt on it because of the mileage.

Thanks for the input guys, I only later thought to take a video of it on my cell. Oh well

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
jdubbs_scort said:
Interesting....

Yeah it definitely sounds like a high pitch turbo-ish noise. Maybe its the alternator! That's a pretty cheap fix and really easy, which makes me a lot happier.

I'd still like to replace the timing belt on it because of the mileage.

Thanks for the input guys, I only later thought to take a video of it on my cell. Oh well
id change it anyways.... as you said its got lots of mileage on it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just take the serpentine belt off. If the sound is still there then you know it has to involve the timing belt tensioner. If it does go away then you isolate further by checking alternator and the serpentine belt tensioner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.